With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

yuvj420p and 16-255

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Djfe
Bright Spark User

yuvj420p and 16-255

Post by Djfe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Would it be useful for HB to support yuvj420p encoding?
I read elsewhere that it is deprecated since tvs can't decode it correctly or something
so maybe not?

musicvid
Veteran User

Re: yuvj420p and 16-255

Post by musicvid » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm

The flag is honored by Handbrake when present in the source, and can be invoked in the output with the - - fullrange flag.

Player support, however, is forever spotty so your source "may" look contrasty in a player.

Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 pm

cool, thx! :)
I might use that, to preserve some of the colors
(I noticed, that some of the red looks a bit different between full and limited range)

do you know a way to correct tonal range with ffmpeg?
(I want to set the black level, so that every color below 8 is essentially black (0) in the output later on, the other values above that have to be adjusted of course)
I know it's possible to do it with Premiere and I used that to find out that 8 is the correct value
in-case there is no filter, I might use Premiere though
I searched already but couldn't find a filter for it

there is color levels, but it's rgb only for some reason :/

edit:
ignore what I said
colorlevels works fine for my case

thx for your help again :)

musicvid
Veteran User

Post by musicvid » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 am

If you are trying to eliminate +7 setup from tape or other analog source, that should be simple in an ffmpeg or avisynth playground; you are entirely on your own as to command lines.