Handbrake crashes OSX abruptly

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
flypsv

Handbrake crashes OSX abruptly

Post by flypsv »

I have two Mac computers. Both are running the same Sierra OS X (latest update).
Handbrake runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro but of course, conversion/compression times are long on this CPU limited machine.
Handbrake crashes randomly on the iMac system. Unfortunately, when Handbrake crashes, it also crashes the whole system without leaving a trace of the crash. At the time of the crash, the iMac either freezes and shuts down, or it freezes and restarts the machine.

This has been the case for all releases that I have been used since the pre-V1 release. I've installed the latest release (Version 1.0.3 (2017022500) today. This time I was able to compress several video files before the first system crash. After a restart, the system crashed a second time with the same video file, however not at the same location within that file.

Can anyone help me debugging this situation ? I've tried several approaches but without success. Thanks
Peter
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake crashes OSX abruptly

Post by mduell »

100% bad hardware. Could be insufficient cooling, insufficient or failing PSU, bad RAM, etc.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

iMac systems built from 2011 onward have sufficient cooling to run at 100% CPU for hours, provided that the cooling passages are clean AND all fans are functional. search for "imac overheating" and you will find lots of help on returning the machine to its original cool self. (I can only comment on "2011 and later" because those are the only ones I have access to.)

But, as mduell says, it could be a deeper hardware problem.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:09 amiMac systems built from 2011 onward have sufficient cooling to run at 100% CPU for hours
My mid-2010 27" iMac does too.

Speaking of which, so overdue for a modern desktop Mac that has 2 matching displays.
flypsv

Post by flypsv »

Thanks for the quick reactions and suggestions. I've checked again the temperature issue. I was already using smcFanControl.
Typical CPU Temp is 66°C/150.8°F with the fan running from time to time at speeds up to 2200 rpm which is in the audible range (range is 1200 to 2640 on my iMac (Late 2013 model with Intel Core I7 - 1 CPU, 4 cores)). By comparison, my MacBook Pro runs with CPU Temp 75°C/167°F and fan speed of 8200 rpm - 2 fans). At idle, CPU temperature is in the range 37-42°C.
I'm not convinced that the cause of the crashes is linked to overheating, nor does it seem to be file content related. The file that twice caused a crash yesterday went through smoothly today.
Finally, it seems that the latest version 1.03 is less prone to crashes than the previous version.
I'm therefore tempted to believe that it is a software problem.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with thinking it is a software issue is that software issues generally generate system log messages when they crash. What you described is an unscheduled power interruption.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Nope, still a hardware problem. It may not be overheating, but it's definitely hardware.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

flypsv wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am I'm therefore tempted to believe that it is a software problem.
Software issues *can* crash an OS hard. But when this happens, it is *always* a bug in the OS or an OS driver. It is the responsibility of the OS to make sure that non-privileged applications can not take the system down. So any time such an event happens, it is either a hardware problem or an OS problem.
flypsv

Post by flypsv »

OK, I follow your rational. I'll do more tests in the coming days to verify as accurately as possible under what circumstances the system crashes. Thanks again for your help and support. It is certainly appreciated.