With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

How do you find out if a surround track actually contains surround information?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Gnd0

How do you find out if a surround track actually contains surround information?

Post by Gnd0 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,
from time to time I'd like to check if a stereo AC3 sound track which is tagged "Dolby Surround" in Handbrake actually contains surround information. My problem is that I do not own any surround equipment yet so I can't just listen to find out. In general, I don't entirely trust the guys who mastered a DVD because I've seen a lot DVDs containing stereo tracks which are actually twin-mono tracks so I assume that this happens with surround tracks as well.

My idea is to demux a surround track on my computer and save each channel as a mono track. This way I could find out whether it is a real surround track or just stereo. If the source is a mislabeled stereo track, there should not be any relevant sound information on the surround channel. Besides of that, I could check what happens when Handbrake downmixes from 5.1 to dpl1.

Anyway: I know that this is quite a nerdy question, so could you please tell me:

Is this a stupid idea? If yes, why?
If no: Is there is a program available capable of decoding surround channels to mono files? I had a look at ffmpeg but it seems that it only splits Dolby Digital but not the old-fashioned analog tracks.

Any input is highly appreciated!

cehoyos

Re: How do you find out if a surround track actually contains surround information?

Post by cehoyos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am

Gnd0 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm
Is there is a program available capable of decoding surround channels to mono files?
MythTV contains such a filter, see FFmpeg ticket #4085.

--=BJ=--

Re: How do you find out if a surround track actually contains surround information?

Post by --=BJ=-- » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 am

I would recommend MediaInfo for easy usage