Hardware Equipment

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
BamBamm
New User

Hardware Equipment

Post by BamBamm »

I looked around and I couldn't find a good answer to this, so I thought I would ask myself.
I have quite the extensive video library, everything from Betamax, VHS, LaserDisc, 35mm, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.
I just discovered HandBrake today and I am already ripping through my 50+ DVD's of Clint Eastwood :D . *Thank You HandBrake Developers!!

So my question is, can you all recommend what equipment I will need to transfer all these movies onto my computer? I don't have a preference if it is Windows, Unix/Linux, or Mac. But I do prefer Windows and I sold my Mac because my system ran circles around the G5. I know there is a way to connect the VCR to my computer, I just don't know what I need.

Also, if someone would recommend some video editing software, that would be pretty cool. Some of these '70's flicks are too dark and "blotchy".

Thanks for reading and any suggestions are appreciated.
RickE

Re: Hardware Equipment

Post by RickE »

I am also interested in knowing what hardware I will need to transfer old VHS tapes to my computer (?) Some of my video friends have suggested transferring to DVD, using a dedicated DVD recorder. I know there are also all-in-one devices out there that promise to convert VHS to DVD in one hardware unit. I think Toshiba is one of them. I have also heard about some hardware conversion boxes that connect to the Mac. (I am a Mac user.) I have around 25 old VHS tapes, but I probably only need about 15 of them; and of those 15, I probably only need 10 to 30 minutes from each one. (They are music and dance performances). Thanks!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Get a high-quality video encoder that has composite and S-Video inputs, and then use whatever appropriate player for VHS, LaserDisk, Beta, or whatever. The better your analog-to-digital recorder, the fewer problems you'll have later. There really isn't a need to use DVD as an intermediate step.

If you're encoding tapes that have Macrovision on them, you'll want an encoder that takes that out. There are tutorials on the net about ripping from VHS and other analog sources. Google is your friend. I found one that discusses special issues for laserdisk ripping, another for VHS.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Moved thread to Tiki Bar.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Blackmagic Design Intensity should fit the bill: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Bradley, did you read some of the reviews on the Intensity, where the hardware requirements are mentioned?

Probably just fine for recording low-res sources like are being discussed here, though. Unless your USB chip set is not up to snuff.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Interesting, I had no idea it had such a bad rap. Well, hardware from Elgato and others may be a better choice if the source and computer aren't modern and pristine.