Bluray decrypter needed

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Machine5464

Bluray decrypter needed

Post by Machine5464 »

I'm looking for a good decrypter for Windows that works with handbrake so I can back up my movies, preferably something that runs in the background. I had been using DVDFab Passkey for a while now but it's no longer being supported for newer movies and I've even had some issues with older movies. I would prefer an open source or sharewhare but I'm open to all suggestions.

Let me know what programs you like and what you like about them.

What I'm looking for.
-A program to remove or bypass media encryption (including the new Cinivia encryption that's starting to be used.)
-A program that will work to remove the encryption but allow handbrake to work with the content backup itself.
-If the program isn't free, a program that will be maintained for future encryption changes.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Bluray decrypter needed

Post by Woodstock »

http://makemkv.com/

Although Cinavia isn't removed.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Cinavia is not encryption. It's a watermark, and cannot be removed without re-encoding the audio.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Rodeo wrote:Cinavia is not encryption. It's a watermark, and cannot be removed without re-encoding the audio.
From what I understand, it is very difficult to remove, even when you re-encode the audio.
Machine5464

Post by Machine5464 »

Woodstock wrote:http://makemkv.com/

Although Cinavia isn't removed.
Thanks, I'll give makemkv a try.

Regardless of how Cinivia is classified. I'm looking for a program that will work with it as that's what a lot of movies are starting to use now. DVDFab Passkey would allow me to decrypt a Blu Ray so that VLC can play it or so that Handbrake can back it up. However Passkey is not being supported for new copyright protection agents such as Cinivia.

Passkey still has worked so far to allow Handbrake to create a backup file for a Blu Ray but it does not work in conjunction with VLC so a movie can be played directly from the disc. As it stands I don't know how much longer Passkey will be viable.

DVD Fab has a media player if you want to watch trailers and all the other ad spam included on most DVD's/Blu Rays and don't want to just watch the movie. I believe PowerDVD works the same, regardless I'm not a fan of it. And ofcourse neither help with actually creating a library backup.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm not aware of anything that removes Cinivia although there are tools out there purporting to do so.

Edit: looks like anydvd might have supported it but its a lossy process.
Machine5464

Post by Machine5464 »

I'm sure someone will come up with something for it eventually. From what I've experienced so far I don't believe it actually matters if Cinivia is there, assuming since Passkey doesn't work with it and I was able to create a viable backup.

I'll check out any DVD and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

VLC and most non-bluray players do NOT pay attention to Cinavia. It's one of those copy protection schemes that only works if the player is crippled, and that pretty much only happens if they "needed" something that had to be licensed from AACS-LA.... If you want to "break" it, don't use a player that supports it.

MakeMKV forum has a discussion of Cinavia, and that, in turn, has links to other forums discussing it and work-arounds. http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1846