Upsize during encode or playback? -- A worst-case scenario

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Deleted User 13735

Upsize during encode or playback? -- A worst-case scenario

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

So I recorded a recent tv special (that all will recognize); I was trying to fit a 3-hour special onto a dvd, and thought I had it set to optimize the bitrate to the program length.

Unfortunately, the recorder recorded a four-hour program, which defaulted to 1/2 horizontal resolution at 30/22 PAR, or 352x480, an extreme compensation for long shows. So, I was interested in getting it back to display resolution, 854x480, or how much I needed to compromise. An earlier test, which involve horizontal 352->720 and vertical 480->404 looks pretty good at an in-between size.

Top image is the original MPEG-2 played back to display width in VLC. I didn't deinterlace, but the logos wouldn't need it, anyway.
Second and third images are both MP4 in Handbrake with default decomb, native 352 anamorphic, and encoder-upscaled to 854 respectively. There is a teeny bit of shadow noise in the 352 upscale in VLC, and the horizontal edges seem to be sharpened a bit (look closely at the horizon).

The bottom mp4 encode occupies twice as much disc space as the 352x480, and seems a bit more faithful to the original.