Possible for HandBrake-created MP4s to cause audio drop-outs?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
sneakymichael

Possible for HandBrake-created MP4s to cause audio drop-outs?

Post by sneakymichael »

Hey all!

(First time around here- love HandBrake and have used it for years, hadn't stumbled on the forum until now)

I've installed some Macs in a few bars, to play (licensed) music videos via my video player app (I'm a software developer), but I've been battling a weird issue since setting things up a couple of months ago: audio will glitch out to silence mid-video after a seemingly random amount of time, and not on the same videos each time, then the next video played is back to normal.

I've methodically tried ruling out everything that I could possibly imagine causing the issue (including playing the videos using a known-good app; VLC), and it's still happening… across four Macs, on three operating system versions

At this point, it's looking like the only constant left is that all ~1,600 music videos that are played were transcoded with HandBrake (Version 0.10.2 x86_64 (2015061100))- from super-high-bitrate, to decent-bitrate MP4s…

So, while I consider myself to be a fairly good app developer, I don't know the ins & outs of A/V formats:

I realise that the actual smarts of handling audio is in the operating system, but, does it seem possible that HandBrake-created MP4s are causing the audio glitches/drop-outs? (i.e. issues with the structure of the created video file / etc?)

For reference, here's what I've tried isolating so far:

… and here's the OS X system console message that appears like clockwork a couple of minutes after the audio starts glitching:
07/01/2016 12:33:01.000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[<ptr>]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: counted 1 clip more than one buffer ahead errors.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Possible for HandBrake-created MP4s to cause audio drop-outs?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236