Some musings on the education of prairie dogs

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Deleted User 13735

Some musings on the education of prairie dogs

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Disclaimer: This is a story. Logs are not available.

Some time before my retirement as an educator, I was lamenting with a friend (who has ASD and cognitive differences) the trap that teachers so often find themselves in; going toe-to-toe with a student who has quickly become arrogant and even defiant over factual errors. The classic example is the kid who insists that "since" 2^2 (2 squared) equals four, then 8^2=16, or even that (-2)^2=(-4). The confrontation usually occurs after attempts at patient methodology and reason have failed, sometimes with disastrous effects. Although the mistakes seem logical enough from the student's limited knowledge, the kid doesn't get it, fails the test, blames the teacher (as do the parents), and secretly feels like he/she is no good at math. Knowing that this impression can last a lifetime, I said I wish I knew of a better way; my goal is that no one should fail, especially through their own stubbornness. The true shame is that these are often bright kids who are confronting good teachers, and at the same time feeling threatened by their own lack of understanding.

My friend, who shares unique perspectives on many topics, said, "You know, I think it's all about prairie dogs." Thoroughly perplexed, I asked him what he meant. He then told me a detailed story about the discretionary relocation (rather than euthanization) of thousands of indigent prairie dogs to make way for a large condo development. Still not understanding the allegory, I asked, "What's the point?"

My friend responded matter-of-factly, "Well, the prairie dogs were trapped, dumped in dark bags with dozens of other prarie dogs, and taken 50 miles in trucks to their new homes. Those prairie dogs thought they were dying! But it really saved their lives."

What a perspective on true empathy, and the education of our own species. Wish I could work and act from that place all the time.
Last edited by Deleted User 13735 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Some musings on the education of prairie dogs

Post by rollin_eng »

While what you say is correct for basic matters like 2^2 = 4 it starts to fall apart in more complex situations, I guess the point is to know when YOU are the praire dog.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Or, perhaps, that force-feeding is good for the soul.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »