Flattr

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
bartovan

Flattr

Post by bartovan »

Hey guys, I'm a new and enthusiastic Flattr user and a longtime happy Handbrake user and would like to Flattr Handbrake! (Eg. donate some funds to you).
Aren't you on Flattr (in that case, shame on you :) )? Or didn't I find your Flattr button/account (in that case, shame on me :) )?

Keep up the good work, great program!

If you're not on Flattr, get an account and join the (micro)revolution! 8)
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Flattr

Post by Ritsuka »

No thanks.
bartovan

Post by bartovan »

Interesting! Why not?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Because we don't accept donations is all. Project policy :)
bartovan

Post by bartovan »

Ah ok. Something to do with laws/regulations/accounting/taxes/...? Or rather by principle?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Principle. This is a hobby and we're not to be held accountable by anyone but ourselves :P
bartovan

Post by bartovan »

I wouldn't hold you accountable just because I gave you a donation or Flattrd you.
Just a way of giving something back, that's all.
Lots of people, bloggers, open source projects, artists have flattr buttons. It's just about saying "hey, I really enjoyed what you did/are doing, here's a small gift to you". No strings attached, no demands, just a bit of support, or a thank you.

If you think about it, concepts like flattr really are powerful: no middle men, no big structures in between, just from one person (or group) to another. And a small fee (5% in Flattrs case) to keep the service running, that's correct. It's internet power at full strength.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

But, if you think about it, principles like the HB team have are powerful, too.

For a project like this, contributions of code are more valuable. If the other open-source projects that are used to make HB accept monetary donations, consider supporting those, and you'll support HB indirectly.
bartovan

Post by bartovan »

OK, it's up to you of course...
Happy coding then, and a nice weekend to you all!