blocky artefacts at the beginning of hdtv video encode

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
jackcq

blocky artefacts at the beginning of hdtv video encode

Post by jackcq »

Greetings,

I've been using handbrake to reencode H.264 transport stream files from my receiver into x264-encoded mkv archives.
Since handbrake doesn't offer any option to edit the original ts-file, e.g. fine cut beginnings and endings or cut out advertising,
I figured out, I'll just edit the video in avidemux and save the result (via direct frame copy) in a temporary container
to reencode it with handbrake afterwards. I am aware that that avidemux can encode as well, but I like handbrake far better
because of the queue and all (and because I used to get some evil crahses with avidemux and x264 at 99%). This method has
worked for me for many months with very nice results. Until recently.
Now whenever I try this method ... I get a few blocky artefacts at the very beginning of the video - every time, with every
video. It's completely reproduceable. I can provide a small 10 second video sample or a mediainfo output if that's any help.
I suspect it's one of my encoder options, because I haven't changed or upgraded handbrake or avidemux. The temp video file seems ok, the blocky
artefacts only appear after reencoding with handbrake. Only the beginning of the video is affected ... everything else is
completely fine. It still annoys me. Maybe someone's got a clue what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Deleted User 13735

Re: blocky artefacts at the beginning of hdtv video encode

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Your ts stream needs to be properly reindexed and sanitized. Just cutting it doesn't cut it :shock:
If on Windows, the right tool is Videoredo TV Suite. Lots of bugs being reported with Avidemux.
All support requests must be accompanied by the encode log. Placing you question in the Tiki Bar does not preempt that.
jackcq

Post by jackcq »

Thanks for the quick answer. Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/kUL7D6jR - sorry about that.
Anyway, as you can see from the log ... it's not on Windows, so Videoredo is not really an option (unless
I'll give it a try to prepare the video on another machine). Also, avidemux does more than just cutting
the ts stream ... the resulting temporary avi file looks fine to me. It may not be the best tool, but this method
did work for me many times before. Only recently , I always seem to get those blocky artefacts at the beginning
of each video. I suspect it's one of my handbrake encoder settings that I might have changed ... because
I did not change my handbrake or avidemux installation.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Suit yourself.