Quality loss extracting to hard drive??

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
BunnyTwoFang

Quality loss extracting to hard drive??

Post by BunnyTwoFang »

:?:
Hi guys,

I would normally use Handbrake to make excellent .m4v versions of my BluRays for playback on my HDTV or Retina iPad.

If I simply dumped the whole of a Blu-Ray's contents onto my hard drive ( using AnyDVDHD ) - and then used Handbrake to create the .m4v - would there be any difference between the .m4v produced straight off the disk and that off the dumped extracted files on the hard drive?

I know I can use my eyes, but I wondered whether anyone has done this before and found technical diferences or issues that might advise me one way or the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice from anyone who's actually done this!

BTF
Deleted User 11865

Re: Quality loss extracting to hard drive??

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Nope, there shouldn't be any difference. Many (most?) HandBrake users rip several discs to their hard drive before queuing them for encode, it's usually faster this way, plus should help reduce overall optical drive usage.
BunnyTwoFang

Post by BunnyTwoFang »

Rodeo wrote:Nope, there shouldn't be any difference. Many (most?) HandBrake users rip several discs to their hard drive before queuing them for encode, it's usually faster this way, plus should help reduce overall optical drive usage.

Thank you Rodeo.

I'm gradually picking up all these factors. Thanks. I left the bluray drive whirring away for a few days when I was doing diffrent settings of the same disc, and I wanted to reduce noise, wear and tear where possible without reducing any quality

Appreciated.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The read cycles to the hardware player will generally run slower than to a hdd.
BunnyTwoFang

Post by BunnyTwoFang »

Thanks for the info Music Vid.