Bay Trail and QSV

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
kvaruni
Novice

Bay Trail and QSV

Post by kvaruni »

QSV has changed the way in which I use Handbrake and, frankly, I couldn't live without it anymore :). However, thus far QSV required a fairly power-hungry core processor (or a laptop with a core processor). Luckily, this seems to be changing with the influx of a fair number of cheap Celeron and Pentium processors that all seem to have QSV, along with a (very) low TDP: http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s= ... Video=true .

Would anyone know if these offer similar QSV performance as the Ivy Bridge/Haswell series? I have seen speeds up to 125-250fps on my laptop, and if these Bay Trail processors offer similar performance this would allow me to build a dedicated fanless box to happily convert Blu Rays to smaller 1080p H.264 (without having to wait a few days). However, most reports have been conflicting, where either software issues or the usage of Bay Trail processors that do not officially support QSV seem to skew the results.

Anyone with any experience on these?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Bay Trail and QSV

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Someone reported issues with HandBrake on a Silvermont chip: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29615

I don't have access to any hardware to test it, so I can't look into a fix.
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

I saw that one, indeed. I'm wondering if this is a false positive as the Intel Ark website is not reporting that CPU to have QSV support. I've found similar claims in the forum and around the web where people are using these latest Bay Trail processors to do QSV, without any built-in support listed on the website. Are these reported by the Intel drivers to have QSV support or is the detection of QSV built into Handbrake?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

QSV detection is done via the Intel Media SDK API, which checks the availability of the hardware DLL (which is part of the graphics driver).
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

See the link that Rodeo gave for a solution to QSV on the Silvermont chips and see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29724 for an overview of the performance of these Bay Trail processors.