Complete BlueRay/DVD Ripping?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
ericolon

Complete BlueRay/DVD Ripping?

Post by ericolon »

So is it possible to rip an entire dvd/bluray into a single file, preserving all the chapters AND scripts AND the menus etc, so literally all that's done is re-encoded audio and video? Of course it is. But is there a video format that supports this?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Complete BlueRay/DVD Ripping?

Post by TedJ »

Not possible, I'm afraid.
ericolon

Post by ericolon »

So can such a format say... be developed? I know you guys aren't codec devs or anything, but (based on a completely retarded assumption) can you guys develop this?

(or maybe I misunderstood the "Not possible, I'm afraid" thing)... then why not? Has anyone tried?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The spec for MKV allows for some interactivity but I've yet to see it implemented.

A workaround would be to transcode the audio/video assets and replace them in an existing BD directory hierarchy which could then be turned into an image file, theoretically compatible with any Blu-ray or AVCHD playback environment. I suspect this would be non-trivial (i.e. a total PITA) to do.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

BD Rebuilder?

The MKV format may support a subset of DVD/BD functionality, but most players won't support it anyway - and there isn't anything to convert between the two (DVD/BD structure -> MKV with menus), AFAIK.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

ericolon wrote:So can such a format say... be developed? I know you guys aren't codec devs or anything, but (based on a completely retarded assumption) can you guys develop this?

(or maybe I misunderstood the "Not possible, I'm afraid" thing)... then why not? Has anyone tried?
Sure. Got $1m?
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

Or rip it as iso and play it with vlc...