Question about HTPC or Similar

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
mastricks

Question about HTPC or Similar

Post by mastricks »

Hi guys! I know I'm not particularly active here but I have a question I think you guys should be able to answer better than anyone. Lately I've been thinking of getting something to watch my videos on the TV. I know the logical thing would be to blow a grand and get a multicore processor PC with a BluRay drive and capture card :P but that sounds expensive, and apparently a little excessive. Anyway. My question is:

What's the cheapest alternative I could use tonwatch my videos on my TV thatdoesn't involve using my main PC?

I rip all my videos using Handbrake, both in SD and 1080p HD using the Apple TV 3 preset (older ones in SD with the Apple TV 2 preset). I'm open to either building an HTPC that hooks up to my TV or a cheap computer and stream to an Apple TV or Roku or whatnot. As you can tell I'd love to have an all-in-one solution but I'm looking forthe cheapest possible way. I'd like to keep my main PC out of it since it would ideally be an always-on solution. I already have two 3TB USB3 hard drives for the videos (which I'm willing to take out of the enclosure, SATA inside), and both an EVGA GeForce 9500 GT and Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 I could use to build a PC if so needed, don't necessarily have to use them of course. Sorry if I'm talking too much, thanks for your help!
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: Question about HTPC or Similar

Post by GregiBoy »

Have you considered something like a Pivos AIOS media player http://www.amazon.com/Media-Center-Giga ... pivos+aioswhich can take one of the drives internally. About $90 on Amazon, etc.

I have had good reports from friends in the US.
mastricks

Post by mastricks »

I didn't even know stuff like that existed, thank you very much!! I'm gonna read up on it, looks great!
ty2010
Novice

Post by ty2010 »

I've been using the sony n200, last pair I picked up were less than $40 each.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

I wouldn't use Sony if you paid me. since they were the driving force behind the Cinivia virus!!