Strange horizontal tearing on DVD rips

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Amethyst Jedi

Strange horizontal tearing on DVD rips

Post by Amethyst Jedi »

So I've been ripping my DVD's and while most of them have no problem, one series in particular has been having these weird scanline things across the screen when there is a lot of movement. I've read it's because of how some devices display interlacing and stuff, but it seems to be a problem with the picture itself. when I play the DVD from VLC, rip with Handbrake, rip with MakeMKV, they all have this issue.
Here's a picture: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r60/ ... nlines.png
You can see the hand has this problem since I paused and took that screencap while the hand was moving, but the rest of it is fine. So I'm just wondering if it's just how the DVD is and therefore I'll have to live with it, or if it's a playback issue I can correct by changing some settings or what. The problem is that it makes the picture more complicated and so compression artifacts occur more frequently, and the file size skyrockets.

Things of note:
It's 29.97 fps instead of the average 23.976 fps you usually see.
Ripping at 15, 23.976, 29.97, 59.94, or 60 fps didn't help.

Turning on VLC's "deinterlace" seems to have made it better, and I'm assuming it removed the frames with the interlacing lines, but I don't want to have to do that EVERY time a I load a file. Also, it doesn't change the fact that the file size is lower-quality and HUGE because of the interlacing.

I notice Handbrake also has a deinterlace setting, but I don't know which to choose. What's the difference between deinterlace and defog and while is there a slider? How much should I do? Doesn't this take a hit in the quality?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Strange horizontal tearing on DVD rips

Post by Smithcraft »

Decomb and not defog, I presume.

Decomb only handles the interlacing when it detects interlacing. Deinterlacing deinterlaced the whole feature. There is a great example of what does what in the wiki.

SC
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Instead of either of those two, it's likely that you want to turn on detelecine. The wiki also covers what detelecine is.

Generally, for NTSC sources, it's best to keep detelecine on; and for all sources, to keep decomb on.
Last edited by jamiemlaw on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amethyst Jedi

Post by Amethyst Jedi »

WELP. I've tried with deinterlacing and decombing and they both work, but the wiki says decombing is theoretically better and retaining quality. Would detelcine be even better? It's not a PAL source, it's NTSC Video, which is 29.97. Also the DVD source appears to be really poor quality anyway, I can see artifacts playing from the DVD if I pause in certain places. I guess that's what you get when you try to fit too many episodes per disc.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

I don't know where my head was at. I meant NTSC. Sorry about that. I edited the previous post.
Amethyst Jedi

Post by Amethyst Jedi »

Well thanks, detelecine looks the best of the three!
I also have other questions unrelated to this topic and I don't really feel like making a new thread so if anyone is still willing to look and help, thanks again!

So now I'm trying to extract the subtitles from the MKV so I can edit them. I have Mkvtoolnix to save the VOBSUB stream to an mks file and Aegisub to edit it, but every time I try to open the mks in Aegisub it says "File has no recognised subtitle tracks". I know the subtitles work when I select them in the video file, so I'm wondering what's going on. Any help would be great!
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I'm sure the people at VideoHelp, or where ever the Aegis forums are, would be able to help, if nobody here can.

SC
Amethyst Jedi

Post by Amethyst Jedi »

So no one here has any idea then? The Aegisub forums get barely a new post in days or weeks.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Try Sub Edit. I have used it on many occasions...

Visit www.nikse.dk for the latest version.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

Code: Select all

So no one here has any idea then?
I was doing a bit of reading on the forums (mostly in that red bar above your first post) and I found that posting an encode log was really useful in getting solid ideas on your issues instead of navel gazing.