Backup DVD 1:1 to HDD - confused

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
jean2

Backup DVD 1:1 to HDD - confused

Post by jean2 »

Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys with my newbee questions, but I read that handbrake is the best DVD ripping solution for Linux. I've read a lot of web pages and tried various DVD ripping programs but I can't seem to find the answer to my simple question...

I want to backup my DVD one-to-one to my hard drive in a convenient format. By one-to-one, I mean including all the menus, audio tracks, subtittles and bonus material. By backup I mean no transcoding, I want to be able to be able to regenerate the original bits of the DVD for burning or transcoding as needed. And by convenient I mean that I want to be able to point a video player (vlc, mplayer) to the result and be able to watch it, including menu, audio tracks, subtitles and bonus material.
I've converted all my collection of audio-CDs to FLAC, so I'm looking to something similar in spirit to FLAC for video (subsituting MPEG-2 video instead of lossless PCM).

Well, I've read those guides, and they all seem concerned to backup to DVD, or transcoding to h264, but nobody bother to explain how to backup to DVD to HDD. I've tried a few rippers but I usually end up with a bunch of VOBs in a directory which are totally useless (no menus for ex.).
I've read on wikipedia on something called VIDEO_TS format which may be what I want, but I don't know how to generate that.

Could anybody give me a clue ?

Thanks in advance.

Jean
Deleted User 11865

Re: Backup DVD 1:1 to HDD - confused

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake is not what you need. It cannot rip DVDs, only transcode them.
jamesbob

Post by jamesbob »

As has already been said - handbrake isn't what you need.

If you want a 1:1 copy of the DVD to store on your HDD and dont want lots of .VOB/.IFO/.BUP files then i would suggest using a DVD ripper (such as elaborate bytes CloneDVD2) which can rip the DVD to an .ISO file format. This will create an exact copy of the DVD and it will only be one file. You can then use a virtual disk drive program (such as daemon tools lite) to "mount" the .ISO file you make. This will have the same effect as actually inserting the original DVD in to your PC's disc drive - so all the menus will be accessible.

I would also be sure to check the copyright laws in your country - as making copies of DVDs even for personal use can be deemed illegal! But im sure you already knew that...
DaveSimonH

Post by DaveSimonH »

jamesbob wrote:As has already been said - handbrake isn't what you need.

If you want a 1:1 copy of the DVD to store on your HDD and dont want lots of .VOB/.IFO/.BUP files then i would suggest using a DVD ripper (such as elaborate bytes CloneDVD2) which can rip the DVD to an .ISO file format. This will create an exact copy of the DVD and it will only be one file. You can then use a virtual disk drive program (such as daemon tools lite) to "mount" the .ISO file you make. This will have the same effect as actually inserting the original DVD in to your PC's disc drive - so all the menus will be accessible.

I would also be sure to check the copyright laws in your country - as making copies of DVDs even for personal use can be deemed illegal! But im sure you already knew that...
^^^That

You can use DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode to rip the entire disc to a file, it will be 1:1 though which is up to about 8GB for a dual layer disc. You could use DVD Shrink which can shrink down a dual DVD to fit on a single layer 4.4GB DVD, which for storage would be a plus too.

By the way you don't need to fiddle about with virtual drives etc. to mount the iso files, you can simply open them up with VLC media player. All the menus should be there.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

There is a program, at least there used to be, called K9Copy (or K9Kopy). This program does exactly what you want. It transfers the contents of a DVD to an ISO file keeping menues, etc, intact and removes copy protection. You can then open this ISO file using VLC to view the content.