Handbrake 0.9.4 Netbook resolution patched

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
FalconFour

Handbrake 0.9.4 Netbook resolution patched

Post by FalconFour »

Someone had to do it.

[Mod Note: Link removed as this is not officially supported nor endorsed by the HandBrake Project]
[OP edit: Oh, that's cute, remove a link to a blog post. OHNOSE! Anyone looking for it can simply Google for "handbrake netbook resolution patched" and find the blog post from there. It should appear on most search engines shortly. Meanwhile you may need to view my blog and you'll find the version about the patched version posted near the top of the front page.]

Want to run Handbrake but it refuses to run because the WinGUI dev decided scrollbars are evil? This will let you run Handbrake on unsupported (please note the word: Unsupported) resolutions, and bypass that "Screen resolution is too Low. Must be 1024x768 or greater" error message. Now it's just an informative window directing you that your resolution is unsupported.

See the post for more details. And thanks, HB guys, for the lol's on the irc log :)
Last edited by FalconFour on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake 0.9.4 Netbook resolution patched

Post by mduell »

Shame the encode won't finish before the heat death of the universe.
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

Or perhaps OP needs to convince Significant Other of their need for a new computer? "Oh dear darling, this netbook has melted..."

Cheers, Chris
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Or the heat death of the netbook ...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Link to binary removed as it is not officially supported by the HandBrake Project. If it was it would already be included.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Besides that, Steve Jobs, in his iPad keynote, stated that netbooks don't do anything well. And that's good enough for me! :wink:
FalconFour

Post by FalconFour »

dynaflash wrote:Link to binary removed as it is not officially supported by the HandBrake Project. If it was it would already be included.
That's a painfully weak argument - link removed because we didn't do it. It's not supported and that's the point of the build. You're just looking for a way to upset people (and I honestly can't understand why)... congrats, you found it. But it'll always be there...

edit: And, you may be curious, why I'm so intent on doing this. You might suspect I want to install malware on peoples' computers (you can verify yourself that I'm not, unless the HB-GUI itself contains malware...). No... I provide the same code in the "source download" that I used to compile it. I'm only doing this because the people, the users of Handbrake, deserve better than what they're being offered. They don't deserve to have one poorly-written GUI telling them what it can't be run on. So I'm opening up that option for people that want to use it. Is that so evil?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

FalconFour wrote:That's a painfully weak argument - link removed because we didn't do it. It's not supported and that's the point of the build. You're just looking for a way to upset people (and I honestly can't understand why)... congrats, you found it. But it'll always be there...

edit: And, you may be curious, why I'm so intent on doing this. You might suspect I want to install malware on peoples' computers (you can verify yourself that I'm not, unless the HB-GUI itself contains malware...). No... I provide the same code in the "source download" that I used to compile it. I'm only doing this because the people, the users of Handbrake, deserve better than what they're being offered. They don't deserve to have one poorly-written GUI telling them what it can't be run on. So I'm opening up that option for people that want to use it. Is that so evil?
You're welcome to promote your derivative product on your site. The project rightfully has exclusive control over what is discussed and linked to on their site.
3and12

Post by 3and12 »

This ensures me in the opinion that this project in not driven by professionals.

Resolution message and blocking ability to use the software is ridicules but deleting links to a patched version is even worst. What you should do was to request a patch and merge it and then thanks this guy for making your product better.

Now i have to wait for rapidshare queue to download version which will work on my 20px-to-low resolution. But what i will really do will be SEARCHING FOR ANOTHER SOFTWARE.

I wanted to be signed by name here, not like some kid, but this board has a limitation for username to 12 chars (mine has 14). Ironical. But it's not a problem for kids i quess :)))

Goodbye.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

3and12 wrote:Resolution message and blocking ability to use the software is ridicules but deleting links to a patched version is even worst. What you should do was to request a patch and merge it and then thanks this guy for making your product better.
Request a patch? The resolution limit is there on purpose. if the HB devs wanted that restriction removed, it could be patched and committed in 2 minutes. No need for someone else to provide the patch.

As for the removal of the link, it's quite simple: HandBrake builds patched by third parties are not supported. And we don't want the forums to link to unsupported versions.

Nothing prevents you from using a third-party build, just don't expect it to be supported here.

End of story.