VHS tapes to JPEG

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
CaribPirate

VHS tapes to JPEG

Post by CaribPirate »

Hello,

How do I transfer VHS tapes to JPEG for editing, etc?

Thank you,
CaribPirate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: VHS tapes to JPEG

Post by nightstrm »

This has nothing to do with Handbrake, therefore I moved it to Tiki Bar.
RoverTX
Novice

Post by RoverTX »

On mac I know you can use EyeTV and one of there tuners to play VHS tapes on your computer. From there you use EyeTV to record the VHS. I believe EyeTV outputs a file that Handbrake can deal with, you could then use handbrake to encode the video how you like.
CaribPirate

Post by CaribPirate »

Hmm. Well, I have 2 pcs and a video player and a bunch of various connector cables, plugs, bells and whistles. We're using Vista on one pc (the 64 bit) and XP on the 32 bit.

So what we're trying to do is move the home movies to either a hard drive or a DVD. Wherever it winds up, it needs to be editable so we can add music, special effects, the whole nine yards. Then we'll burn it to a DVD or CD and voila!

Thanks again

I did see an advertisement for Roxio's "Easy VHS to DVD" but the reviews on Amazon were dismal.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You'll probably be better looking for an Audio/Video forum (Have a look around google) and discuss Composite video capture cards. That way you can skip HandBrake and import directly into a video editor of your choice.
Carl

Post by Carl »

The way I do mine is to connect the VCR to the analog input on my digital camcorder,
then use the digital output of the camcorder into the PC via Firewire. The camcorder
does the A/D conversion. This is described in the Sony literature. Good luck!
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

I assume that you mean VHS to digital, and mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 at that:

I have used a Panasonic VHS --> DVD Recorder combo unit for years.

I record to a DVD-RW and copy the resulting DVD to my Mac Mini.

I then use MPEG Streamclip to edit and/or convert to h.264 for my library and AppleTV.

I then erase the DVD-RW and start all over...
baggss

Post by baggss »

Frankly, your best bet is just to go out and buy a combo DVD/VHS player that allows you to copy in both directions. I've had one for a few years now and its come in handy for moving those old VHS [Censored] videos to DVD and then working from there.