High Quality settings Compatible with Front Row

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
jarred128

High Quality settings Compatible with Front Row

Post by jarred128 »

I just started using HandBrake last week when I bought a new Mac Mini. First off I'd like to say that I love the software and it's very easy to use. I'm trying to backup my DVD collection so I can access them using Front Row. I would like to get pretty high quality rips (yes I understand that higher quality means larger files). I've been messing with some settings and using some defaults to do some trial rips. Sometimes the settings produce a file that is not compatible with Front Row. I was just wondering if someone had some settings that they would suggest that would give a high quality rip and still be compatible with Front Row. I figured I'd post here rather than another forum, but please let me know if this would be better suited somewhere else. Thanks in advance.
Deleted User 11865

Re: High Quality settings Compatible with Front Row

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The AppleTV or Universal presets should create iTunes- (and thus Front Row-) compatible files. Files created using the Universal preset will also be compatible with recent iPods (iPod touch & iPhone, iPod Classic, last-gen iPod Nano) but will be larger for the same Constant Quality setting than the equivalent AppleTV encode.

The default Constant Quality setting of 59% should produce high quality files. If you're unhappy with the quality it provides, you can increase the CQ to 62-63%. Anything above that will only increase the bitrate with little or no perceptible quality difference.
jarred128

Re: High Quality settings Compatible with Front Row

Post by jarred128 »

Thanks for your advice, I think I'll give the universal preset with a 60% constant quality a shot.