NVIDIA’s CUDA

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Cirnel

NVIDIA’s CUDA

Post by Cirnel »

Hi
I was wondering today if Handbrake could someday support NVIDIA’s CUDA.
This would improve speed and enable the new Nvidia Ion platform to encode movies more efficient.
I'm not a developer and i have too little coding experience to realize it myself (if it is possible at all),
but i would love to see my Macbook encode faster and as the SDK is available for free.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_what_is.html
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: NVIDIA’s CUDA

Post by s55 »

There is no support for CUDA in HB.

The x264 devs tried working with it, but it turned out to be a dead end so I really wouldn't get your hopes up. This sort of thing will probably take a good few years to mature to a state of actually being useful.
siromega

Re: NVIDIA’s CUDA

Post by siromega »

CUDA recently had their 2.2 release which allows the GPU to access main memory. This should make it easier because previously you had to load the frame into the GPU memory, so you'd end up with only intra-only comparison.

Anyways, x264 (via VLC) is participating in the Google Summer of Code, and one of the items is to write a GPU-based Motion Estimator. If someone volunteers, we might see a basic product at the end of the summer in CUDA. Which will probably end up being rewritten in OpenCL after that...