Combining Universal encode with iPod 5G encode

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
mvest20

Combining Universal encode with iPod 5G encode

Post by mvest20 »

Okay, this has been touched upon in a couple of other threads, but I'm having trouble finding an exact answer so I wanted to go ahead and ask anyway. I have been using Handbrake to encode all of my TV shows that I have on DVD to my computer. I use the Apple Universal preset which works great for most things. However, I have a 5G iPod that does not accept these file types. I have been using iTunes to make an iPod 5G-friendly version, but this leaves me with the obvious problem of having two copies in my library. After doing some research in these forums, I have discovered that there are a couple of ways to combine these two copies together using mp4v2 or subler (or some combination of the two) and changing the tags. However, there is very little documentation on how to actually proceed, at least that I understand. I may well be in way over my head here, and if that's the case so be itl, but if anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. It's really a small thing but I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance!
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Combining Universal encode with iPod 5G encode

Post by realityking »

Download Tagger or use Subler, the steps are similar.

Open up the first file, set the media kind and a cnID, if its the higher res version also check the HD flag. Repeat with the second file.
mvest20

Post by mvest20 »

realityking wrote:et the media kind and a cnID
Does it matter what value I assign to the cnID? Or can it just be any random number? And does it have to be the same cnID on both files?

Once I get that complete will there be any additional steps, or will the files just be merged in iTunes?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help on this one.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

It must be the same number on both files and not the same as any content in your library already has.

You have to do those steps before adding the files into iTunes, when you're done drag them at the same time into iTunes.