What Software to Rip DVD's?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Ripple

What Software to Rip DVD's?

Post by Ripple »

Hello. I'm trying to figure out what software would be best for me to rip DVD's.I hope posting here is OK...

I've not ripped DVD's before, so I don't know how this software typically works. In addition to HandBreak, I've heard of Mac the Ripper and Mac DVD Ripper. Are these good, too? Is there something else better? I don't mind paying for the software, but if its freeware it has to be clean (free of spyware, adware, etc.).

I don't need the software to do anything with the audio and video files, once they're removed from the DVD. I'd assume I could just transcode the files into an intermediate codec (like ProRes) and work with them directly in Final Cut Pro. I don't want the software to rip to an intermediate codec like H.264 for me, as that would cost me two generations of quality loss. I'd like to be able to work with just portions of the the DVD (like an individual chapter) without ripping the whole thing DVD, but not at the cost of quality.

Thanks in advance.
watcher

Re: What Software to Rip DVD's?

Post by watcher »

I use Slysoft Clone DVD2 to rip.
That way I know, exactly, what's there.
It's got a 21 day trial so you may want to try it for yourself.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Watcher, the OP is on Mac so CloneDVD (plus AnyDVD) would require either a VM or Bootcamp... that being said, AnyDVD will rip discs no other ripper (Mac or PC) will touch.

Ripple, if you're looking to convert DVD to ProRes for editing, two options are Cinematize (commercial) or MPEG Streamclip (free) - used in conjunction with Fairmount, which does on-the-fly decryption, you can extract clips without ripping to HDD first.

A new Mac ripping application is RipIt, which handles many newer Region 1 releases.
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

I used MacTheRipper until I discovered RipIt. I found it to be far better at dealing with some of the troublesome DVDs and almost all problems I had with the rips have disappeared since I started using it. Agreed, it is paid software, but since you are asking this question I can assume that you will use it to rip quite a lot of DVDs. :)