Whoa... Big ol' build changes...

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bradycl
Novice

Whoa... Big ol' build changes...

Post by bradycl »

My normal every other day or so svn update tonight was a bit of a shock, although I can see the usefulness of the build directory. Was able to mostly puzzle out getting up and running again from the included 00-BuildUserGuide.txt file, although the quickstart did not work in Fedora 10, when I ran ./configure --launch it failed with the error "gmake: *** No rule to make target `project/handbrake.m4', needed by `libhb/project.h'. Stop." At that point I decided to see if it would work manually from the build directory--I cd'd to the build directory, ran ../configure, then ran make and that ran okay, then cd'd into gtk and just did make install and the Linux GUI was successfully installed.

So my one question that isn't covered in the 00-BuildUserGuide.txt file--I mainly use the CLI, and building the gtk GUI and make installing it used to "install" the CLI as well. It seems that it no longer does that, and there is no "make install" target in the build directory. Is simply cp'ing HandBrakeCLI from the new build directory to /usr/local/bin the only install method for the CLI for the moment, and is that all I need to do? And was this dropped intentionally, as far as the CLI being installed automatically along with the GUI?

Thanks!
KonaBlend
Novice

Re: Whoa... Big ol' build changes...

Post by KonaBlend »

jxself

Post by jxself »

bradycl wrote:when I ran ./configure --launch it failed at point I decided to see if it would work manually from the build directory--I cd'd to the build directory, ran ../configure, then ran make and that ran okay
I'm also having some difficulties, but when I cd into the build directory, run ../configure and then make I get "make: `build' is up to date." No compiling, no executable, no nothing.

The "build" directory contains three files. In the even that it's helpful to anyone, the contents are available here:
Log.txt: http://pastebin.com/m5ba68c30
GNUmakefile: http://pastebin.com/m64d5ac1d
project/handbrake.m4: http://pastebin.com/m7188e860

I am trying to compile on Debian GNU/Linux 5 "Lenny"

Anyway; I run:

svn checkout svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk hb-trunk
cd hb-trunk
./configure --launch

And I get:

located gmake: /usr/bin/make
located ar: /usr/bin/ar
located cp: /bin/cp
located curl: /usr/bin/curl
located gcc: /usr/bin/gcc
located m4: /usr/bin/m4
located mkdir: /bin/mkdir
located patch: /usr/bin/patch
located rm: /bin/rm
located tar: /bin/tar
located wget: /usr/bin/wget
selected fetch: wget
running: svnversion .
running: svn info .
creating build
chdir build
generating GNUmakefile
generating project/handbrake.m4
opening log.txt
###
### TIME: Mon Mar 2 19:58:23 2009
### launch: /usr/bin/make -j1that isn't covered in the 00-BuildUserGuide.txt file--I mainly use the CLI, and building the gtk GUI and make installing it used to "install" the CLI as well. It seems that it no longer does that, and there is no "make install" target in the build directory. Is simply cp'ing HandBrakeCLI from the new build directory to /usr/local/bin the only install method for the CLI for the moment, and is that all I need to do? And was this dropped intentionally, as far as the CLI being installed automatically along with the GUI?
###
make: `build' is up to date.
###
### TIME: Mon Mar 2 19:58:23 2009
### finished: 0.01 seconds
### success (exit code 0)
###

That's it. No compiling, no executable file, no nothing. Just this mysterious "make: `build' is up to date" message.

I delete the build directory and try the instructions from the Building via Terminal instructions and when instructed to run "make", it still stops at the same "make: `build' is up to date."

What am I missing?
iiro

Post by iiro »

do this:
  • cd /handbrake
    ./configure --launch
    mkdir build/
    cd build/
    ../configure
    make
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

jxself, the logs you provide don't show anything useful. The log for your first build attempt would have shown the error. From the build directory, you could try "make xclean" followed by "make". Or you could just rm -rf build and start over. Then show us the result of the initial build if it still fails.
KonaBlend
Novice

Post by KonaBlend »

Try bumping to r2207. The large fix for Xcode r2205 broke *other* platforms and the result was make basically has nothing to do.
jxself

Post by jxself »

JohnAStebbins wrote:show us the result of the initial build
That was the initial build.
KonaBlend wrote:Try bumping to r2207. The large fix for Xcode r2205 broke *other* platforms and the result was make basically has nothing to do.
That appears to solve it as Handbrake is now compiling. Thank you.