Looking to speed it up...

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jduffy

Looking to speed it up...

Post by jduffy »

Hi, new guy here. I'm looking to speed up the rip. Some info:

P4 3.0GHz
1.5GHz RAM
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
Latest version of HB

The source is a movie laid off from an Avid, it's on a DVD disk. I'm trying to get the file to fit on one CD disk. I chose the Broke preset. The first pass took about 2 hours, probably a bit more now that I think about it. The 2nd pass has an ETA of about 8+ hours!

I'm new to this. Is there another preset or way I can set up the CLI so that it doesn't take as long but gives me a decent looking copy that will fit on a CD? I need it that size to fit it on a producer's laptop that doesn't have a DVD drive. Sick, eh?

Thanks for the help. :(
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Looking to speed it up...

Post by TedJ »

It's hard to give you any specific advice without knowing more about your source video (running time?) but I suggest using the "Classic" preset, adding two-pass encoding (--two-pass) and restricting to 700MB (--size).

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

Most of the presets (including the default) in the current version use H264 video, which is a real CPU hog to encode.
jduffy

Post by jduffy »

Thanks for the help man. My job was on the line with this little assignment.

It's a 90+ movie. The editor told me 2 hours no problem with HB. I guess that was with an older version of HB. Well I was up against it so I used AcidRip and it took about 2.5 hours and I was able to get it to the producer no problem before he took off on a red-eye for back east. That was too close for comfort though.

I'd still like to figure out how to use HandBrake. I'll try your settings to practice. Still looking for any other suggestions.

Never believe what editors tell you. :mrgreen:
jduffy

Post by jduffy »

Well, I think I understand what this software is about now.

Bad people = bad software!

You need to take some lessons in how to NOT be a rude jerk!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

And that's all she wrote folks...
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

jduffy wrote:Well, I think I understand what this software is about now.

Bad people = bad software!

You need to take some lessons in how to NOT be a rude jerk!
I take it you're referring to your other thread, that I locked?

Funny, see, from my perspective it's rude to expect people to volunteer their time to help you, when you can't even be bothered to fire off a Google search first.