Your error message makes no sense

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
diode

Your error message makes no sense

Post by diode »

I was using handbrake on earlier chapters on this dvd, but then this happened, then when I went to rip the next chapter, it said
[17:46:18] thread b495fb90 started ("MPEG-4 encoder (libavcodec)")
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
[17:46:18] thread b415eb90 started ("AC3 decoder")
Encoding: task 1 of 1, 0.00 %Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Gives the same error message on every chapter I've tried since then. So I tried a different format, and look what it shot back at me.

.diode@station1:~$ handbrake -v -i /media/cdrom0 -c 6-8 -f m4v -I -o /home/diode/fullmetal-alchemist-001.m4v
Invalid output format (m4v). Possible choices are avi, mp4, m4v, ogm, ogg and mkv

I about laughed when I read that. Also, I ripped an ep last night with the -I option for my iPod...and my iPod didn't accept it, although it worked for the previous ep.

What's all this going on?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Your error message makes no sense

Post by jbrjake »

Since you decided not to provide the whole activity log or exactly what settings you were using on that segfaulted encode, it's impossible to help you with that.

The invalid output format message is a bug introduced in http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/ ... =680#L1216

The help, however, reads correctly:

Code: Select all

-f, --format <string>   Set output format (avi/mp4/ogm/mkv, default:
                            autodetected from file name)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Sense restored:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1389

I'm not adding it to the help as an output format because it's confusing from a code standpoint and at some level the cli is just a testing ground (it used to be called HBTest) for development. Call it m4v if you want, it's still using the mp4 muxer.

Anyway, now if you do -f m4v it won't fail with that absurd error message. You don't need to use -f, though. If the output filename ends in .m4v, that's all HandBrake needs.
diode

Post by diode »

I have found out that using the -e x264 option makes the file so that the iPod can't accept it, even with the -I option. Just thought you should know it. If I DON'T put the encoding format (-e x264) in there, the iPod takes it. Also, the -s option doesn't seem to affect the file size. I put in -s 99 and the episode was still ripped at 200 megs, unless that's the max it can compress it.

Side note, I like the cli version of this program. Didn't quite use the GUI Mac OS X version much because it's an older Mac, hence slow...and I'm using ubuntu Linux on a Pentium 4 with the cli version...but I just kinda like it better. Thank you for making such a cool program.

diode
diode

Post by diode »

Would you like the log and other stuff to analyze, or are everyone's logs different and therefore too many to look at?
saintdev
Enlightened

Post by saintdev »

diode wrote:Would you like the log and other stuff to analyze, or are everyone's logs different and therefore too many to look at?
jbrjake wrote:Since you decided not to provide the whole activity log or exactly what settings you were using on that segfaulted encode, it's impossible to help you with that.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

diode wrote:I have found out that using the -e x264 option makes the file so that the iPod can't accept it, even with the -I option. Just thought you should know it. If I DON'T put the encoding format (-e x264) in there, the iPod takes it.
Um, well, yes...if you want to use x264 on the iPod you have to set it up with iPod compatible settings. Which would be why there are three different iPod compatible presets built in to set all that stuff for people like you who won't bother learning what those settings are.

I can't believe you're seriously suggesting we should severely cripple HandBrake's default x264 output just so it's iPod compatible.
diode

Post by diode »

I don't get what your post was about saint. I didn't provide anything in the first post, which is why I offered to provide it later since he seemed interested in it. And as for you jbr, what's your big beef? I'm learning as I go, I just thought I would post information, which, at that point in time, I thought was relevant. You need to learn to chill a little. Seriously...
Last edited by diode on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diode

Post by diode »

If you didn't notice, I actually praised the project and thanked the developers for it. It is a great program, and I really do appreciate you guys making it for us for free.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

diode wrote:And as for you jbr, what's your big beef? I'm learning as I go, I just thought I would post information, which, at that point in time, I thought was relevant. You need to learn to chill a little. Seriously...

I acknowledged and verified your bug, tracked down when it entered the source , and fixed it -- all within hours of you reporting it -- and this is how you respond?

I <3 our users.
delacroixp

Post by delacroixp »

diode wrote:If you didn't notice, I actually praised the project and thanked the developers for it. It is a great program, and I really do appreciate you guys making it for us for free.
Perhaps freedom is not the issue. Userbillity and performance are possible more important... does it help achieve your goals.
If not, how so ?

Free trash remains just that !

:D :twisted: :mrgreen:
Pascal