HandBrakeGTK

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
McCall

HandBrakeGTK

Post by McCall »

This code for HandbrakeGTK (or Rippedwire) seems unmaintained and hard to get hold of. If anyone has the source code, can you tell me what license it uses?

If someone was willing to maintain the code, could it be forked and added to the Handbrake repository as official code, or have the design and code choices ruled this out as an option?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: README: HandBrakeGTK is NOT part of HandBrake

Post by jbrjake »

You Linux users simply astound me.

Why do you *want* to be second-class citizens?

Why do you *want* to use a port of Windows code?

Why do you *want* to use a front-end wrapping a CLI instead of an actual GUI?

None of this makes any sense to me whatsoever.

No we are not picking up that broken, horrifically out of date, ported wrapper code when there's 90% of an actual direct Linux GUI in the official repository.
McCall

Post by McCall »

Excuse me! I didn't expect an aggressive reply like this for a second!
Why do you *want* to be second-class citizens?
Um... to be honest, moving from Handbrake on OS X using to Handbrake CLI under Linux makes me feel like a second class citizen. Right now there is no UI for Handbrake under Linux that I can easily get hold of. After a quick look around the web HandbrakeGTK seemed like a nice front end.
Why do you *want* to use a port of Windows code?
As I have said i my original post I can't get a copy of the code, so I didn't know it was a port of the Windows code (I don't know ANYTHING about the code!), hence the question about the design and code choices.
Why do you *want* to use a front-end wrapping a CLI instead of an actual GUI?
What difference does using a UI wrapping a GUI over using an actual GUI makes if the results are the same?
None of this makes any sense to me whatsoever.
Can you explain this? (You can PM me if you like). I honestly don't understand why people using Linux wouldn't want to use a GUI for things. I use CLI all day for my "real" job. Its nice to get home and point and click sometimes :)

This post http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 754#p26549 led me to believe that there wasn't an official UI for Handbrake when running under Linux, hence my post. Thanks for letting me know about the code in the repository - I will take a look.

I love Handbrake and have been using it for years and after re-evaluating what options I have now I am moving from OS X to Linux I have decided to make a donation and I was thinking of brushing up on my coding skills (Not used since the early OpenBeOS days!) and perhaps helping the project by working on a Linux GUI.

I get the impression I am missing some history on Handbrake and HandbrakeGTK by the reply I got. Feel free to fill me in via PM if you like so I don't say anything that could start a flame war.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Um... to be honest, moving from Handbrake on OS X using to Handbrake CLI under Linux makes me feel like a second class citizen. Right now there is no UI for Handbrake under Linux that I can easily get hold of. After a quick look around the web HandbrakeGTK seemed like a nice front end.
Trust me when I say, The CLI is first class when compared to that GUI. Atleast the CLI actually works properly.
HandBrake GTK was based on code I wrote right after 0.9.1 was released and it was in absolutly no state to be released. It had 0 testing and dozens of issues. Then we have a guy coming along, taking that, building a buggy gui around code that should never have been used and we have a lovely mess. Said guy also didn't have the time to maintain it properly or offer support for it.

Anyone wanting to take up development would be far better starting from scratch tbh, or better still. Using the QT4 code in the SVN.
What difference does using a UI wrapping a GUI over using an actual GUI makes if the results are the same?
Integrating with the library has many benifits, such as a very nice picture preview panel which the mac gui has and windows gui lacks for example.
Can you explain this?
Linux users are generally are held with a higher regard. Linux users don't tend to want to run crap on their system.
This post http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 754#p26549 led me to believe that there wasn't an official UI for Handbrake when running under Linux, hence my post. Thanks for letting me know about the code in the repository - I will take a look.
Hence this stickie
I love Handbrake and have been using it for years and after re-evaluating what options I have now I am moving from OS X to Linux I have decided to make a donation and I was thinking of brushing up on my coding skills (Not used since the early OpenBeOS days!) and perhaps helping the project by working on a Linux GUI.
Please do. There is a HandBrake Anonymouse every thursday when you get addicted ;)
I get the impression I am missing some history on Handbrake and HandbrakeGTK by the reply I got. Feel free to fill me in via PM if you like so I don't say anything that could start a flame war.
You could say that.
McCall

Post by McCall »

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense now....

...and I suppose in a way its good that this has been tailed to the sticky for other newbies to see. I just wish that it wasn't me that asked the question :)

Could all these threads be deleted and replaced with this paraphrased post, which explains a bit more for newbies? (Plus I don't look as stupid!)

=========

HandBrake GTK / Rippedwire

HandBrake GTK is 3rd Party software and is not supported the HandBrake team in anyway shape or form. Please do not post asking for help.
All threads from here on in will simply be locked.

HandBrakeGTK was based on early development code originally written by the members of the Handbrake team. This code was an early port of the Windows code and was in absolutely no state to be released or used as a starting point for anything else. The code had not been tested and was known to have issues.

Unfortunately, the code was then forked into a separate project by an external developer and called HandbrakeGTK. The developer who created HandbrakeGTK didn't have the time to maintain it properly or offer support for it.

If you are interested in a Linux GUI for Handbrake and are wanting to take up development, it would be far better starting from scratch, or by using the QT4 code in the SVN.

Until an official Handbrake GUI is released it is recommended that you use the CLI which is officially supported and well documented.

=========
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Moderator Note: Thread Locked. Split from stickie.
Sticky will be updated with more information to avoid future confusion