Moving from OSX to Linux...

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
McCall

Moving from OSX to Linux...

Post by McCall »

Hi Folks,

My 1GHz iMac 17" is starting to show its age, I am currently taking about 27 hours to encode a DVD* as AVC/H.264 2500kbps Video / AAC 160kbps Audio (chosen so I can play them on my PS3) with two passes. Time isn't a major issue as I leave my computer on 24 hours, but I would like to get at least one done a day and I need to update my computer anyway so I was going to build a PC around an AMD AM2 Athlon 64 4400 (Dual Core 2.3GHz) and run Ubuntu Linux on it (I already own a stupidly expensive gaming rig, but thats one for games, and off as its overclocked and worry about it overheating so this must be cheap).

On OS X I have been using MacTheRipper to copy the DVDs to the hard disk, and then using Handbrake to turn them into MP4's. I then delete the copy of the DVD and archive the original media. I know I can continue to use Handbrake (via the CLI) to continue with my encoding but have a few other questions I was hoping someone could help with:

What tools do I need to rip the DVDs to the hard disk first?

Do any of the UIs for Handbrake CLI let me queue up encodes like I can using the GUI on OSX?

Is there an official UI coming out?

Can anyone give an estimate of how much quicker the AMD will be?

* Just to be clear, these are my own legally bought and paid for DVDs. Once backed up to my portable drive the DVDs go in a box in the loft as I have no room for them in my house (I own 100's!) :)

Thanks to everyone who replies, and the developers for Handbrake!
kirby

Re: Moving from OSX to Linux...

Post by kirby »

Question:

What tools do I need to rip the DVDs to the hard disk first?

Many tools exist. MPlayer can do this, etc.. In your post, you state that you delete the copy. My recommendation would be to simply rip the DVD to an ISO image. Handbrake is capable of reading ISOs.

Can anyone give an estimate of how much quicker the AMD will be?

Obviously depends on your encoder options, but my core duo 6600 and dual Athlon MP 2600+ boxes both go an hour to an hour and a half.

I really can't comment on the GUIs, I'm a command line guy.
McCall

Post by McCall »

I found this http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Backup_a_DVD which seems to contain all the info I need to replace MTR.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Yes, dd works fine. And , yes, if other methods of encryption are used, then you must take these into account. But, if only CSS is involved, HandBrake can read ISOs created with dd.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are no developers actively working on a GUI for Linux.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

You can run sequential handbrake commands by separating each with " ; ". Also, if you know a scripting language, I have a couple of friends who run handbrake by calling it inside a simple script. When handbrake finishes one encode the script looks to the next line of a particular file that is used as a queue then runs the line as a handbrake command. You would have to write the script yourself though.

As far as a ripping program, I have been using vobcopy for some time. It's very simple and extremely lightweight compared to the alternatives.

Your AMD, if doing nothing else, will probably be at least 5 times faster. I just built an ubuntu computer with a quadcore 2.0 GHz intel proc then overclocked it stably to 2.8 GHz and it is about 3-4 times faster than my old one that was similar to the one you are talking about building. I got a $250 shuttle barebones and a $300 Q6600 kentsfield; it depends on what you wanna spend, but the whole thing only cost about $700.