install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The installation notes for the new linux GUI is really bad.

First all the links for the new GUI point to the old, now invalid sourceforge site.

Second the download from the new source forge site produces an error about not enough options given. (I managed to find a TAR by googling for the filename I wanted to download and finding it on a source forge mirror.

Third after installing mono, mono-extra and gtk-sharp packages (Fedora 8 linux) you try to run it and get the error....
All google attempts to find out about this error, whether it is for fedora, ubuntu, mono, or even HandBrake just seems to go nowhere, or directs to a now obsolete use of Mono from Wine (don't go there! :cry: )

:idea: I was however lucky to find the solution on a odd note that was about someone compiling a simple 'Hello.ci' mono source and running that. It was enirely by accident and was only pure luck I even found it!

The solution is install the HandBrakeGTK binary and the various mono-gtk-sharp packages, but... And this just does not seem to get mentioned anywhere)... run it using...

Code: Select all

mono  /path/to/HandBrakeGTK
And Yes it runs. :D

Could you at least have a readme, or mention that small but important point to users who want to use it but has never used mono before. :roll:

I mean come on. A little help for newbies (an I normally do not count myself and a newbie) would be a little helpful.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables

Post by s55 »

The Linux GUI is nothing to do with HandBrake.
It's 3rd party, last I check it's also abandoned and finally it's using very out of date buggy code from windows that doesn't work properly.

Hence why we provide 0 support for it and recommend people don't use it.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide < The CLI is a far safter option.