Handbrake seg faults on new Ubuntu 21.04

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
borgauf
New User

Handbrake seg faults on new Ubuntu 21.04

Post by borgauf »

The latest Ubuntu 21.04 and Handbrake seem to be incompatible. An attempt to install a flatpak version gave an error seeming to expect Gnome 3.36. 21.04 is Gnome 3.38, I believe. Standard Ubuntu install of Handbrake gives, as title says, a segmentation fault.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake seg faults on new Ubuntu 21.04

Post by s55 »

The flathub variant may work but we don't plan to formally support Ubuntu 21 until 1.4 comes out in the hopefully not so distant future.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/fr.handbrake.ghb
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

As s55 hints to, the HandBrake flatpak that is available on flathub uses Gnome 40. FYI, the version of Gnome on Ubuntu is irrelevant. Flatpaks use their own environment. If you install from flathub, the necessary dependencies should be installed for you.

If you are attempting to run the version of HandBrake provided in the official Ubuntu repository, we don't build that or have any control over how they build it. They purposely modify our build system in order to conform the their repository rules. I don't think it has ever worked right.
palerider
New User

Post by palerider »

s55 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm The flathub variant may work but we don't plan to formally support Ubuntu 21 until 1.4 comes out in the hopefully not so distant future.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/fr.handbrake.ghb
Well, here's another vote for "I hope it's sooner than later, I'd really appreciate it." since I'm using 21.04.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Have you tried the flatpak? My plan is to phase out Ubuntu deb releases of HandBrake. So don't hold your breath. An updated deb may not be coming.