Handbrake crashes while using Libmmbd from Makemkv

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
IamMomotaros

Handbrake crashes while using Libmmbd from Makemkv

Post by IamMomotaros »

Description of problem or question:
Handbrake will crash not producing valuable output to log while loading blurays
for direct ripping.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Install Handbrake 1.3.3 focal ppa
Install Makemkv 1.16.3 focal ppa
Install libdvd-pkg libudf0 libbluray-bin
Remove libaacs0 libbdplus0

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Handbrake 1.3.3 focal ppa

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake crashes while using Libmmbd from Makemkv

Post by s55 »

Use MakeMKV, then HandBrake. Don't try to make their libraries work with HandBrake.
IamMomotaros

Post by IamMomotaros »

IamMomotaros wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm Description of problem or question:
Handbrake will crash not producing valuable output to log while loading blurays
for direct ripping.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Install Handbrake 1.3.3 focal ppa
Install Makemkv 1.16.3 focal ppa
Install libdvd-pkg libudf0 libbluray-bin
Remove libaacs0 libbdplus0

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Handbrake 1.3.3 focal ppa

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.

https://pastebin.com/0WuqfeTH
IamMomotaros

Post by IamMomotaros »

s55 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:25 pm Use MakeMKV, then HandBrake. Don't try to make their libraries work with HandBrake.
Although this following forum thread is from Makemkv Osx it clearly displays that Handbrake was capable of ripping blurays with the help of libmmbd.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... 67eae6b81e

It was not until the 1.3.x versions when libmmbd and Makemkv support stopped.

"megaspaz
Re: How to Rip Blu-Ray discs with MakeMKV and handbrake
Post Sat May 02, 2020 6:35 am

mike admin wrote: ↑The libmmbd (from unsigned, unsandboxed, unhardened and otherwise dangerous MakeMKV) still can be used by sandboxed/hardened applications, if it is copied to a proper location. VLC is an example how it works. So, at least in theory, this should work.
AFAIK, placing the aliases in /usr/local/lib, the libmmbd does work, provided you fix the original file name you alias from - libmmbd_new.dylib or libmmbd_old.dylib are the new names in makemkv. The only problem is that any 1.3 version of handbrake now crashes whenever you open a bluray directly in handbrake now. I didn't test hb and previous versions of makemkv (< 1.15.1) though... Everything I've seen from the hb forums, they don't much care that this workflow is broken, ie. using libmmbd in ~/lib...

@swsmith1971 - if you want to rip blurays directly in handbrake, just keep a copy of handbrake 1.2.2 in Applications calling it like "Handbrake 1.2.2" for use when ripping blurays and hb 1.3+ for everything else... if you plan on using makemkv first before using handbrake, then you can just dump hb 1.2.2"
IamMomotaros

Post by IamMomotaros »

Then on page two of that forum thread it shows it working on windows.

"nsaaki
Post Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 am

philbax wrote: ↑Just a quick note: you don't *have* to rip with MakeMKV separately and then convert with Handbrake.

You can make two copies of the appropriate libmmbd library (libmmbd.dll on Windows with 32-bit Handbrake; libmmbd64.dll with 64-bit Handbrake) in the Handbrake install directory, and name them "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" (or .dylib on Mac), restart Handbrake, and Handbrake will be able to scan and rip Blu-rays directly. Saves quite a bit of time!

Edit: I believe you can do the same in the VLC install directory to be able to open Blu-Rays with VLC.
Does this still work? I'm using Handbrake v1.3.3 and MakeMKV v1.15.3. I've tried both using symbolic links and directly copying the correct dll from MakeMKV to the Handbrake directory, with changing the name and Handbrake find no title. According to the logs in Handbrake it states the disc is encrypted. I can directly use MakeMKV to rip the disc"
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's never been formally supported and has been known to cause various different problems with folks trying it. If you want to try, knock yourself out but it's not something we are going to support you with or fix the various issues that you'll likely nor or eventually run into.
IamMomotaros

Post by IamMomotaros »

And currently the last post of that forum thread is that libbluray has a potential major bug in its code preventing it from opening disks.

"harpoma
Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 am

This turns out to be a bug in the libbluray contrib library.

It appears that you can no longer use -i /dev/disk3 you must use -i /Volumes/MountPoint. I have submitted a merge request for it.

So provided you have the libraries in the correct place and links in place you can use handbrakecli -i /Volume/MountPoint

Give that a try. I can now use 1.3.3"
IamMomotaros

Post by IamMomotaros »

s55 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm It's never been formally supported and has been known to cause various different problems with folks trying it. If you want to try, knock yourself out but it's not something we are going to support you with or fix the various issues that you'll likely nor or eventually run into.
Is there any way to just flat out support integration like some API or just removing support for it all together? It attempts to load when ever a bluray is inserted or selected as source.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Probably a side-effect of application sandboxing.

It might be possible to avoid the crash. I wonder if one can build libbluray with flags to disable libaacs and libbdplus support (which is what libmmbd emulates)?