[question] How to skip reenconding audio track?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Valso

[question] How to skip reenconding audio track?

Post by Valso »

The movie (usually a mkv file) has an AC3 audio track and I don't want it to be reencoded (just the video). I tried skipping settings for audio but it gets reenconded despite that. If I click the X button on the audio track, then the output mkv has no audio track. Any suggestions on how tell Handbrake to skip audio track reencoding?
Valso

Re: [question] How to skip reenconding audio track?

Post by Valso »

That still doesn't tell me how to have audio track "same as source" - an option that other programs have which basically copies the source audio instead of reencoding it.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Auto Passthru

HandBrake can pass thru several different audio formats. There are separate options the audio encoder dropdown for these. When you select “Auto Passthru”, it will pass thru any of those supported types. You can limit what it will automatically passthru. For example, if you only ever want AC3 or DTS passthru, but not any of the other choices, untick the relevant checkboxes.
Valso

Post by Valso »

So, if the source has AC3 and I wanna keep it that way, I have to untick the AC3 checkbox?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You'd check the AC3 box if you want AC3 passthrough.