Intel Quick Sync Video advanced options on Linux

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
domy_os

Intel Quick Sync Video advanced options on Linux

Post by domy_os »

Description of problem or question:

Does anyone have an idea how to activate advanced/more settings text box for Intel QSV profiles? I do have it on all other codecs but not on Intel QSV. :( I do not have any problems with encoding, I just miss this option. I need to put exact bitrate in order to prepare videos for DVD burning and it is not possible without vbv-maxrate entry. This text box is visible on Windows but on Linux not. Thank you in advance!

HandBrake version: 1.3.3

Operating system and version: Linux Mint 20
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Intel Quick Sync Video advanced options on Linux

Post by Woodstock »

Where are you sourcing your Linux version?

Also, "DVD burning" as in authoring DVDs, or just using a DVD disk for data? I assume using it as a data disk, because I do not recall QSV doing DVD-compatible encodes.
domy_os

Post by domy_os »

No DVD authoring, I make videos just to fit on DVD disks as data. It is sometimes DVD data, sometimes CD data. Anyhow, I need to calculate the bitrate in order to fit on these disks. Without vbv-maxrate is not possible because videos sometimes fit, sometimes are too big.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I have a similar issue with regard to NVENC. It seems that selecting the NVENC H.264 and HVEC encoders will make the More Settings field disappear. I'm running Ubnuntu 20.04 with HandBrake v1.3.3. Is this a known issue?

Incidentally, I'm running an Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 which features QSV, but the Handbrake install is not offering QSV encoders. Granted, this is a 3rd generation Ivy Bridge processor, but it does support H.264 (AVC) hardware encoding. I'm surprised I don't at least have the option for H.264. Do I have to install something else (e.g. an Intel SDK or the like) on Linux to get QSV capability, or is this something Handbrake should be able to identify on its own?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The settings you can apply to the hardware encoders are limited.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:01 pmThe settings you can apply to the hardware encoders are limited.
While the settings options are limited, there is a list of available options for NVENC, but the field is not available to enter them.

There is a note at the top of that document that says:
Experimental Linux support is available in HandBrake’s command line interface
I'm guessing we can try incorporating them at the command line, but, in my mind, that defeats the usefulness of Handbrake (versus using FFmpeg directly).