how make handbrake jail for freenas 11.1

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bob5731

how make handbrake jail for freenas 11.1

Post by bob5731 »

I need to rip 300+ dvd freenas. How install and setup handbrake as jail to automatically rip 300+ dvd?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: how make handbrake jail for freenas 11.1

Post by s55 »

FreeNas isn't a supported platform, so you'd need to compile from source. The instructions are in our documentation to do this for FreeBSD which is probably the closest match to a FreeNas OS.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Are the DVDs still physical, or are they ISOs on the FreeNAS?

Physical, you are better off using a tool designed to remove copy protection, and rip to MKV files. You can then script the command line version of handbrake to encode them for storage.

Are you intending to rip the DVDs on the FreeNAS machine, or are you using a different machine to rip, and just storing on the NAS?
bob5731

Re: how make handbrake jail for freenas 11.2

Post by bob5731 »

I would like to use FreeNAS machine to rip the DVDs.

I jest updated to freenas 11.2

I found handbrake iocage file.

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ports ... /handbrake

I'm new to freenas and unraid.

If this is not the best way to go then. What would be the best way to go.

I'm looking to build a machine to autorip the dvd's into mp4.

I put the dvd in the drive and it copys the dvd to hdd and then convert in to mp4 then spit out the dvd and waits for a new dvd.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The issue is going to be that DVD content isn't "all the same", so most scripts are going to be compromises at best.

It's easy enough to write a script to detect that a disk has been inserted and use dd to make an ISO of its contents to a local drive. There are even a few scripts posted here to open an ISO and grab the largest title found and process it in a generic fashion. But that is not going to give you an "optimum" encode, with the "perfect" audio tracks, and the "correct" subtitle track. In some cases, you could end up with a descriptive audio track in place of the "normal" movie audio.

The part that involves your time is feeding disks in either case. A work flow that I use is to rip with MakeMKV to my NAS (a Synology, not FreeNAS), getting all audio and subtitle tracks. With MakeMKV (runs on Linux, Windows, MacOS), you can read from multiple drives at once, so ripping can go pretty fast... my "record" is 3 machines in two different rooms, total 5 drives, ripping at the same time. DVDs also rip faster than BDs. If you're doing 300 disks, see if you can borrow a few extra USB drives from friends... :)

Then, you can check each movie's tracks with something like VLC or Kodi to determine what you want handbrake to save for that particular movie, and queue it up in handbrake. Once you've finished the ripping part, handbrake can take whatever time it needs to encode the results.

Even if you get handbrake running on FreeNAS, it doesn't do decryption on its own, so you'll also have to get one of the third-party decryption libraries working on FreeNAS, too. You're presumably going to have work stations attached to the NAS anyway, so use them.
bob5731

Post by bob5731 »

I have 2 windows box's and old Imac. How to do it in MakeMKV and handbrake automatically?

I have rip dvd handbrake with no problem.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You need to start in this section: viewforum.php?f=10

Honestly, there is little you can do to FULLY automate this process. Unless you have an automatic disk changer, you (or a minion of yours) will have to physically change disks. Not many disks contain sufficient information to pull title information from them, so you (or a minion of yours) will have to enter the title at some point. And you'll have to figure out which titles on the disk are the movie title.

After that, the generated file will be dropped in a directory somewhere, and you can have a script pick it up and run a fixed handbrake command line on it, and hope that the audio tracks line up with your expectations; the command line version of handbrake does exactly what it is told as far as arranging and converting tracks within a title. If you have several disks that are authored EXACTLY the same way, it's great. Grouping your titles by distributor will help with this, since distributors tend to author their disks the same way.
bob5731

Post by bob5731 »

Ware can I get a script to automatically copy the dvd's?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You'll need to learn how, and write your own. Searching the CLI forum will give you hints based on what other people have done but you'll need to build something that suits your own needs.

If your not willing or able to spend the time to do this, then it's probably best to look for a different tool.