How to get Handbrake onto a QNAP NAS

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JoAnywhere

How to get Handbrake onto a QNAP NAS

Post by JoAnywhere »

Hi there.
I have a QNAP TS-431p NAS. The OS is QTS 4.3.4, which under the hood is some flavour of Linux.

Can someone give me some pointers or a guide as to how to get Handbrake onto my NAS.

If I get some helpful responses that I can use to make this work, I'll collate them all into a seamless howto (if one doesn't already exist).

Regards
Jo
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to get Handbrake onto a QNAP NAS

Post by s55 »

HandBrake doesn't officially support ARM devices yet. While technically possible to get it to run with a fair amount of hacking, you'd be on your own figuring it out.

There is a compile guide here: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/deve ... buntu.html but you'll also have probably have to build out your own toolchain to cross compile to that platform too. Won't be easy.

Also, A Cortex A15 is going to be extremely slow. Not to mention that the NAS above doesn't have sufficient RAM to run anything more than encoding DVDs
JoAnywhere

Re: How to get Handbrake onto a QNAP NAS

Post by JoAnywhere »

s55,
fair comments all around on the performance of the NAS - but I can just leave it chugging away without burning network bandwidth, or CPU time on any machines I am genuinely using.

I'll have a look at the compile guide and see if I get lucky (or even get the time to have a proper attempt LOL)

Regards