With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
secondn8ture

Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Post by secondn8ture » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Description of problem or question:
Intel Quck Sync is not available in video tab in Ubuntu 16.04. Release notes for 1.1.0 mentions QSV support is experimental and a specific Intel driver is required. Which specific driver is required and how do I enable QSV?

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Post by JohnAStebbins » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Ubuntu binary releases are not built with QSV support. In theory, HandBrake on *nix can be built with QSV support enabled. But I have never done this myself.

Given the number of support requests/issues we get for the windows builds with QSV, I'm not in any hurry to enable QSV in Ubuntu builds.

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm

At some point I'll try write up some instructions to get this "working" but it's a little involved and requires compiling from source. Hence "Experimental"

secondn8ture

Post by secondn8ture » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Installing from source is no problem, just need to know if there is anything specific I need to do outside of the usual configure/make/make install process to get QSV enabled.