A Question Asked in Earnest and with Sencerity

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ThePCMedicInIA

A Question Asked in Earnest and with Sencerity

Post by ThePCMedicInIA »

Howdy all.

I am about to undertake the installation of Handbrake on Fedora Workstation 26 (because I do not LIKE 27, THAT'S why :x ) :wink:
Prior to this adventure, my experience has been limited to Debian based distros - several flavors of Ubuntu and Linux Mint (which is DA BOMB, IMHO :oops: ) but I have never dealt with a distro that uses .rpm files for installation, but that's not a biggie.

Handbrake has rapidly become my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE transcoding program since I learned (just a little) how to use it. I was really disappointed that in all the time Handbrake has been around, none of the überGeeks who are intimately involved with this software has packaged it as a .rpm file. Now, I'm the first to admit, I don't know jack about packaging no software, BUT if y'all could package Handbrake as a .deb file seems it would be just as easy to make a .rpm file as well. Just sayin' (and speaking from a place of vast ignorance).

That's my 3 1/2 cents worth. I DO want to make it ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY clear that I LOVE Handbrake and I respect and admire the minds that created it and keep improving it. YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Later.... 8)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: A Question Asked in Earnest and with Sencerity

Post by JohnAStebbins »

We certainly know how to make rpm packages. But unfortunately, it is *not* as easy to produce multiple rpm packages (one for each commonly used variant of rpm based linux distro). For example, it would do *you* no good if we only packaged for Fedora 27. Ubuntu has a nice build server (called launchpad) that allows us to automate the process of producing deb packages for all supported versions of Ubutnu. Fedora has a similar build server, but restricts it's use to "approved" applications. Approval requires meeting certain requirements regarding use of patent free unencumbered software and unfortunately, HandBrake does not meet all requirements.

But, I am working on flatpak support that should allow us to have one flatpak package that works on all distributions that support flatpak. Flatpak is relatively knew and there are issues left to resolve, but a solution is in the works.