What is the latest stable release?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
John_Jason_Jordan

What is the latest stable release?

Post by John_Jason_Jordan »

Xubuntu 14.04 x86_64, all updates applied.

I have given up on the PPA because I can't get HB to stop crashing in the middle of an encode. I had version 20180101000000-ba30fd8-master-zhb-1ppa1~trusty1, but I had to uninstall it and install the latest from the Ubuntu Trusty repositories instead (version 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1). However, I miss some of the newer features, because 0.9.9 is pretty old. Is there any place where I can see stability ratings for older releases?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: What is the latest stable release?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs from the official release, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I've never read anyone say the Ubuntu repository version was "stable"... They always break features deliberately.

If the official PPA version is crashing, are you using the library versions that came from the PPA, or are you using some system libraries?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The version from the Ubuntu repos is supported by Ubuntu, not HB. It does not have all of the features of HB per Ubuntu policies, and does not follow HB's recommended practices for compiling.

Post the log from your crashing 20180101000000-ba30fd8-master-zhb-1ppa1~trusty1 encode, or try the stable PPA.
John_Jason_Jordan

Thanks for all the quick comments!

Regarding the libraries, I have no idea what libraries I was using with the PPA version. In a debian system like Ubuntu, once you install the PPA and reload your sources the PPA version appears as well as the official Ubuntu version. I usually use Synaptic (a GUI front end for apt-get) to install things, so I just used it to uninstall the official Ubuntu version and then marked the PPA version for installation (as well as the PPA CLI), followed by hitting the Apply button. Apt-get did its thing and there it was, all nicely installed.

Regarding the log from the PPA version, I uninstalled it and then installed the official Ubuntu version. I didn't save any logs before doing so. Are the logs still on my computer somewhere?

And mduell mentions 'the stable PPA.' That sounds like what I need, assuming it is a different PPA from the one I had, er, 'still have,' because I haven't uninstalled it yet. That one is 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handb ... ots/ubuntu.'

Thanks again for the suggestions. :)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

"Stable" version for handbrake is the release version at https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases

The version marked "1.0.4" is the same as 1.0.7 on the other platforms.

It does have some bugs that are fixed in the nightly builds, plus the nightly builds have some additional features, but until 1.10 is released "in the not too distant future", 1.0.4 is the "stable release version".
John_Jason_Jordan

Woodstock wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm "Stable" version for handbrake is the release version at https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases
Thanks, I'm encoding a movie with it (1.04) as I write this.
John_Jason_Jordan

OK, 1.04 just crashed at 92% of a 3GB movie. It took 1.5 hours to get that far, and now I have to start all over from the beginning. This is really [Censored] me off.
I would post the logs but I can't find them.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Are they not in the documented location that rollin linked to?
John_Jason_Jordan

mduell wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 am Are they not in the documented location that rollin linked to?
Ah, thanks. I missed that earlier.

Here is all that is in ~/.config/ghb:

[18:39:13] gtkgui: HandBrake 1.0.4 (2017040900) - Linux x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
[18:39:13] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[18:39:15] gtkgui: Failed to read presets file, trying backup (presets.23.0.0.json)...

Let me clarify the last line. I had been using the version from the PPA for the nightly snapshots, and that version apparently changed my presets, thus 1.04 couldn't grok them. It did load the backup and happily proceeded to encode the video, that is, until it crashed.

I am going to try a little experiment. I see that the presets are in ~/.config/ghb, as well as preferences, etc., so I renamed the folder to .ghb.old, then started ghb and, as I expected, it created a new, completely empty .ghb folder. Now I'm going to see if it will encode the same movie that crashed it last time. If it crashes again then we will know at least that my configs and presets had nothing to do with it.

It will be tomorrow morning before I'll know.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

We need the entire log from the attempted encode.