Problem Recognizing LPCM Audio w/GeckoLinux [openSUSE Tumbleweed]

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
lhb1142

Problem Recognizing LPCM Audio w/GeckoLinux [openSUSE Tumbleweed]

Post by lhb1142 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I always back up my Blu-ray discs. First I copy them with MakeMKV and then I compress the resultant MKV file(s) with HandBrake. When using a Debian-based OS, I have no trouble with LPCM audio files which HandBrake converts to AC3. But, when using GeckoLinux (a fork of openSUSE Tumbleweed), MakeMKV copies the Blu-ray disc perfectly and the LPCM track is present (AND the computer plays the track!). However, when I open that MKV file with HandBrake in order to compress it, the LPCM audio is not even shown!

I own two new and different computers (an Alienware gaming computer [i7 Skylake] and an Asus gaming computer [i7 Kabylake], both with Windows completely wiped off) on which I'm running GeckoLinux as the only operating system and the problem occurs on both.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Linux / Unix are you running. etc.

I am using the latest (v.1.0.7) HandBrake which is updated frequently from the Packman repositories. I am running GeckoLinux, a fork of openSUSE Tumbleweed. I update the two computers at least once every day. These computers are the ones on which the problem occurs.

I also own two other computers which both run MX Linux; these also have i7 processors but they are not as fast as the ones on the computers running GeckoLinux. I also update the systems every day. On those two HandBrake does indeed recognize the LPCM track(s) contained on the MKV file(s) and converts them to AC3 perfectly. (The computers both use the HandBrake nightly build.)

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

No error is shown. It's as though the LPCM track never existed.

Please include the scan or encode log:

There is none.

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
There is none.

I do not understand why this is occurring. The problem does not occur, as I mentioned, with a Debian-based OS (on the two computers on which I am currently using MX Linux). So I am forced to compress such MKV files on one of those computers.

But my two newer computers, running GeckoLinux, are much faster and I use one or both for all Blu-rays which do NOT have an LPCM track but I would surely like to be able to use those computers for ALL Blu-rays.

It's not as though I cannot back up Blu-rays with LPCM tracks - I can by using the slower computers - but I cannot understand why this problem occurs (can anyone duplicate it?) and I hope that it can be explained and fixed.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thank you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Problem Recognizing LPCM Audio w/GeckoLinux [openSUSE Tumbleweed]

Post by rollin_eng »

You should always get HB from here:

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases

Or compile from source.

Then please post your logs.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

We've got to see the scan log that you're refusing to provide to really know what's happening. Could be a bad 3rd party build, could be something else.
lhb1142

Post by lhb1142 »

rollin_eng wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:51 pm You should always get HB from here:

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases

Or compile from source.

Then please post your logs.
This site is only for those using Ubuntu or one of its variants which are all based on Debian, though it does also work for MX Linux, a Debian-based OS.

But GeckoLinux [openSUSE Tumbleweed] is RPM-based and that Launchpad site has no download for that type of system.

I have no logs to post.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Or compile from source.
lhb1142

Post by lhb1142 »

rollin_eng wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm Or compile from source.
Sorry, I do not know how to do that.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

lhb1142 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm Or compile from source.
Sorry, I do not know how to do that.
Maybe this will help:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35744&hilit=Opensuse#p168028