Program window is larger than 1024x768

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Morgano

Program window is larger than 1024x768

Post by Morgano »

Dear, This is my first post in this forum
Thank you so much for this fantastic program :)
I used HB on my vacation trip to compress videos before upload, saved my much data transfer :)

I used it on my trusty old Thinkpad T43, screen resolution 1024x768, running Mageia 6 (development version)
Only one slight problem: Program is wider than screen.

I see in system requirements https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... ments.html that 1024x768 should be OK.
But here om Mageia, tried on desktops Plasma5 and MATE, the program is wider than screen.
That have happened on MSWindows too: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35972&p=169016&hil ... 68#p169016

I opened https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20839
Any tip how to set scale or orther parameter on Qt5, linux ?

This is not the only program with that problem, but it seem hard to find a solution.
Maybe Qt is really tricky about scaling, or have changed compared to previous versions...?

Or maybe, as problem seem common, handbrake could be made slightly narrower. On my system it looks like the buttons at the "equator" of the program could be narrowed enough to avoid this problem.

Versions tried: Handbrake 1.0.7, on Mageia 6 RC.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Program window is larger than 1024x768

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The minimum window size varies by widget theme, window manager, and other factors. Currently on my Fedora workstation using it's default widget theme under gnome-shell, the minimum window size is 1260x698. I might be able to reduce that some by changing some widget positions and sizes, but getting it down to 1024 width would be difficult. But I'll look into what can be done. One of the problems is that there are several widgets that you typically will not see. They are only made visible when certain other settings are enabled or are temporary like the scan progress bar. Room must be provided for these even though they are not always visible.

When I used to use screens with such restricted resolution, I would use a feature of X11 that allows you to define a virtual screen size. When the mouse bumps against an edge of the screen, the whole screen scrolls. Assuming you are using X11 and not Wayland, this would fix your problem with other apps as well. Virtual screen resolution can be set with the xrandr tool from the command line and can also be made permanent by setting it in the xorg.conf file. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution for details.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Encoding must be so slow on such ancient hardware.

You could use the CLI.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Well below our minimum system requirements, so yes, it will be very slow :( Lucky it even works at all to be honest.

I target 1280x1024 for UI as it's reasonable. 1024x768 is not reasonable in this age I'm afraid so I'd follow johns suggestion.
Morgano

Post by Morgano »

Thanks for the hint. I used panning 10+ years ago, will try.

The given spec about 1024x768 compatibility need be updated, or HB fixed to meet it.

Yes for a PC, the T43 it is rather old, but i use to work in industry and that age is not much compared to how long electronics CAN be made to work.

That T43 is fast enough for normal office work and runs splendid with modern Linux desktop like Plasma.
Those thinkpads use to be faster than other brands with same spec... that is why i use them :)
Yes not for video editing, but it just compress some minutes short films, no problem, some 20 + fps crunching videos from my Fairphone.
Set it to compress, go eat, finished. I am not sitting watching it ;) But i can surf on it while it compress.
I first try converting a small part, to test cropping, resolution and compression, then i set it to do all video, put it in queue.
- That queue functionality is nice :)