New Presets and GUI vs CLI

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
t3kg33k

New Presets and GUI vs CLI

Post by t3kg33k »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Linux / Unix are you running. etc.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
I am running Handbrake 1.0.3 on Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I have no issues right now but am trying to get used to the new presets that now come with 1.0. I would like to know which is the best preset to use with DVD for getting the best quality out of it, preferably just shy of Blu-Ray quality, if that is possible.
Also, is it better to use the CLI vs. GUI in regards to performance? Would the rip take less time when using the CLI? Or, does it not matter?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: New Presets and GUI vs CLI

Post by s55 »

You need to decide for yourself. It's subjective. See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/work ... reset.html for some guidance.

DVD != Bluray. You are not going to get even remotely close to the quality of a Bluray with a DVD. You've got 5 times the number of pixels with a bluray so you have the potential for vastly more detail.

There is no performance difference between GUI / CLI