Playback of M4v on PS4, rip to avi available?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nathanjh13

Playback of M4v on PS4, rip to avi available?

Post by nathanjh13 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I have ripped a load of dvd content, it won't play on the PS4

I have learned there is a "Playstation 1080..." type option in device presets, this isn't an option in my preset list, and I suppose it's kind of too late now anyway.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of Linux / Unix are you running. etc.

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Handbrake 0.10.2 (x86_64)

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

"media file/format not supported" that kind of message from Media Player app on PS4

Is there an option to rip directly as avi format or something "universal" that pretty much all devices recognise?

Thanks for any assistance here, otherwise I will have to convert all of this into another format, somehow (command line preferred) which guts me really but needs must as it's unplayable at present.

Thanks folks.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Playback of M4v on PS4, rip to avi available?

Post by mduell »

Three things:

1) Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

2) HB is not a DVD ripper.

3) 0.10.2 is no longer supported.
nathanjh13

Post by nathanjh13 »

Many thanks,

1. http://pastebin.com/mbdgcN4p

2. OK

3. I've updated to 0.10.5 and the output file options are m4v or mkv still, with no Playstation option in devices.

Other than converting in post (using ffmpeg etc) is there no way to create avi or some other format PS4 will recognise in the first place?

Thanks again, very kind regards
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try a nightly build as that has many new presets.

https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php
nathanjh13

Post by nathanjh13 »

Many thanks.

I have the nightly version now with many presets. Choosing any of the devices, including Playstation etc, it's still m4v.

The playstation doesn't recognise m4v files, this is the problem.

File: "New Video.m4v"
Format: "MPEG-4 (avformat)"

The latter being the culprit, but the only other option is Matroska (.mkv) which PS4 doesn't recognise either. Is it possible if not now then in future for handbrake outputs to be in other more "universal" formats avi etc?

Thanks
Nathan
http://pastebin.com/9GJYag6B
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

PS4 supports mkv and mp4:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... mat_m.html

m4v and mp4 are basically the same just rename the file as needed.

I think you can set the m4v to be mp4 in the preferences.

HB doesn't output avi files.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The file extension is "everything" to some platforms.

Windows doesn't care if you use MPG, MP4, or M4V.

Apple recognizes MPG, but certain features are only available if the file extension is M4V.

Using DLNA, some servers won't show files with an M4V extension, but WILL show MPG files.

Older Samsung TVs would not play a file with an MKV extension, but the same MKV file plays just fine if you change its extension to AVI.

As Rollin points out, you can tell handbrake what to put as the extension on MP4 files, in Tools->Options->Output files, with the choices "Automatic", "Always use MP4", and "Always use M4V". "Automatic" probably takes its cue from what your preset is for, but I cannot say for sure... I just rename files if I hit a problem with a specific target. Or fix the target. :)