Building HandBrake 0.10.5 on OpenIndiana - /bin/sh issue

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
osol30

Building HandBrake 0.10.5 on OpenIndiana - /bin/sh issue

Post by osol30 »

I have worked out how to successfully build HandBrake 0.10.5 on OpenIndiana and which apply equally with Solaris

I am currently running OpenIndiana Hipster 2016.04

In order to get HandBrake 0.10.5 CLI quickstart build instructions to work I used CC=gcc ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnu --launch

The automated build process will fail unless because when the automated process attempts to build the libvpx library the process fail with many references to ./configure [line reference] local. When I checked the configure script for libvpx it has #/bin/sh as the first line.
However when this is processed on OpenIndiana/Solaris /bin/sh is a symbolic link to ksh, thus the script does not execute correctly. In order to have the libvpx configure script process correctly it needs to be executed with #/bin/bash

A quick fix for the duration of the HandBrake build is to temporarily have /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash however this does not provide a long term fix. Can the HandBrake Solaris environment be patched so that the libvpx configure script is run with #/bin/bash and not #/bin/sh
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Building HandBrake 0.10.5 on OpenIndiana - /bin/sh issue

Post by JohnAStebbins »

osol30 wrote:Can the HandBrake Solaris environment be patched so that the libvpx configure script is run with #/bin/bash and not #/bin/sh
It's feasible. It would get done quicker if you could write and test a patch to do so however since we don't run solaris or openindiana. To add a patch to a contrib in our build system, you just create a regular patch that would be applied directly to libvpx, name it P01-solaris-sh-configure.patch, and drop it into the directory contrib/libvpx. Patches named with that format get automatically applied during the build on the platform that is in the name. There are plenty of examples to look at in the contrib directory.
osol30

Post by osol30 »

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, checking on OpenIndiana all the configure scripts are best run with #/bin/bash and not #/bin/sh
osol30

Post by osol30 »

Hi

When building Handbrake if I want to include libdvdcss support for example and this installed in the /opt/gnu parent directory, what is the ./configure directive to ensure /opt/gnu/include and /opt/gnu/lib is checked.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

libdvdcss is not supported or recommended here. More often than not it causes more problems than it solves.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

osol30 wrote: When building Handbrake if I want to include libdvdcss support for example and this installed in the /opt/gnu parent directory, what is the ./configure directive to ensure /opt/gnu/include and /opt/gnu/lib is checked.
As s55 points out, any problems encountered with an encode using libdvdcss will not be supported here. But to answer the question, there is no configure option required. libdvdcss is dynamically loaded. All the is necessary is that your LD_LIBRARY_PATH include the location of libdvdcss.so.