Compiling on openSuse 10.3 work around

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Compiling on openSuse 10.3 work around

Post by redraiderbum »

Now that there is a proper forum I thought I would state a work around. I cannot get handbrake to compile on the newest version of opensuse. I don't get specific error output, just a general "error 2". To make it work, I can compile in Ubuntu then copy the folder over to opensuse and do svn updates then compile and it works fine. If anyone has any suggestions let me know, but considering how vague the error is I don't have a lot of hope. For anyone who wants to use opensuse and needs handbrake on it this may be helpful.

Incidentally, make sure if you use this work around, that you compile handbrake on a 64-bit linux distro if you plan on using the 64-bit opensuse. I know ubuntu feisty and gutsy work. If you use a 32-bit OS for compilation handbrake performance suffers a lot for some reason.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The download server is down at the moment. It may well cause error 2's when trying to download the contrib or contrib binary packs.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

I don't know how long it has been down, but I've been having this problem since the day after opensuse 10.3 came out (October 5th). I did a fresh compile on Ubuntu a couple of days after that to copy it over and it succeeded, but maybe those errors were different, I honestly can't remember. I will try it again in a few days, is there anyway to tell when the server comes back up?

The errors did seem strange because I got the error 2 with absolutely no information beyond the failed file. Also, strangely, I keep getting asked for input related to latex, again I'm not quite sure what it is asking for, but I typically just hit return and it continues on then fails. If I try giving it input, it asks what seems like the same thing over and over again until I do nothing but hit enter a few times. I've never experienced that while compiling on linux, typically it just goes until it finishes or until I get an error that is usually well explained.

I just wanted to post in case people have similar problems.

edit: I forgot to say, I'm having this problem with the release version 0.9.1 and the svn, but when it is compiled elsewhere, they both work.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

They will only compile if you happen to have all the required downloads already. If you don't and it needs to download them then it will fail at the moment.

There may be separate issues here however at the moment with the server down, any required downloads will fail.

When the forum logo in the top corner starts appearing again, the download server should be back up.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

FWIW I had this same problem on 64bit Gutsy. Failed at the libdvdcss part, with Latex errors trying to build the libdvdcss documentation. http://pastebin.ca/743182 I hit enter and it continued to jam.

EDIT: But no HandBrake, from failed libdvdcss. :(

Code: Select all

...skipped HandBrakeCLI for lack of contrib/lib/libdvdcss.a...
...failed updating 1 target(s)...
...skipped 1 target(s)...
...updated 64 target(s)...
stmiller@amdx2:~/HandBrake$ 
Here is the output refman.log from the libdvdcss doc directory:
http://pastebin.ca/748543

Anyway to have it not try to build the libdvdcss doc? :(

EDIT: Found a work around. It is a bug with later version of doxygen in Gutsy + libdvdcss. Using the Feisty version of the doxygen (1.5.1) executable temporarily placed in /usr/bin led to HandBrake being built successfully.
Last edited by stmiller on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

I succeeded on the Gutsy rc... I had to install:

dev-tools
autoconf
automake
yasm

I think that was it. I haven't tried it on the final.
kirby

Re: Compiling on openSuse 10.3 work around

Post by kirby »

I posted my work around in another thread... As noted earlier, it is the documentation that is failing for libdvdcss.

So, presuming that you don't care about the docs....

1) When the build stops while generating the docs, hit enter or type quit and enter.
2) The build continues and fails with a helpful error 2 message
3) Go into the contrib/libdvdcss directory
4) Edit the generated Makefile - look for 'SUBDIRS = src test doc' at the top. Delete the doc
5) Go back to the top level and re-run make.

All should be well.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Re: Compiling on openSuse 10.3 work around

Post by redraiderbum »

I have not tested this, but if one of the almighty's out there is keen on it, this might be a very good thing to put on some official documentation as a potential caveat. Particularly because there is a reasonable work around now; though the user base of linux is not huge so they should be savvy enough to look here.