Introducing HandBrakeGTK

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
th3rmite

Introducing HandBrakeGTK

Post by th3rmite »

Hello everybody, I've been working on a GTK front end to HandBrakeCLI for the last few weeks, and it's finally in a stable state. Please take it for a spin and let me know what I can do to make it better.
====
HandBrakeGTK 1.0 Alpha1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/handbrakegtk/
===

Requires:

mono 1.2.5
-- for debian systems: apt-get install mono
gtk-sharp 2.10
-- for debian systems: apt-get install gtk-sharp2
HandBrakeCLI
-- Download from the HandBrake download page and install into your path

===
To do:
Finish advanced h.264 editor
Create .deb and .rpm install packages

Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

just a note, this is what i had to do to install in gutsy. If i remember correctly the readme file is kinda confusing

one thing you NEED TO ADD is that mono-dev or mono-devel (at least on ubuntu gutsy) is a required package for this to work

Here's what I did to get the GUI going on Gutsy...
-Download linux binary from Handbrake site
-Extract then copy HandBrakeCLI to /usr/bin
-Download HandBrakeGTK from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/handbrakegtk
-extract, goto extracted directory, goto bin directory, copy HandBrake directory to /home/username/.config
-chmod 0755 HandBrakeGTK.exe
-copy the HandBrakeGTK.exe to where ever you want to run it from
-sudo apt-get install mono
-sudo apt-get install mono-devel
-sudo apt-get install gtk-sharp
-run 'mono ./HandBrakeGTK.exe' to start the gui
professor fate

Great product

Post by professor fate »

Great work! Thanks. I've got HandBrake on a Vista box and love it. Now I can have the GUI version on Linux?! Fantastic.
wilbur.harvey

Post by wilbur.harvey »

The location of the files doesn't seem to work.
Is there a new path?
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

looks like he killed the project on SF.net.
dpneal

Post by dpneal »

Argh, what a disappointment.

Th3rmite, I wanted to thank you for posting the great program -- I found that the GTK version of Handbrake was more intuitive, faster, and more responsive than the Win32 version. I had to wipe my harddrive and reinstall Linux, and was chagrined to find that the sourceforge project had been deactivated.

Anyway, thanks for putting in what were certainly long hours in crafting the GTK frontend for handbrake.

-- Dan
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

i still have the code on my computer, anyone want it?
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

actually he just renamed the project on sf.net

http://rippedwire.sourceforge.net/index.html

he entered the urls for the downloads wrong, and its still referencing his old project

just replace handbrakegtk in the url with ripped wire and they will work

example: the deb url

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ripped ... irror=osdn
Darktempest

Post by Darktempest »

The newest version is pretty darn awesome with the addition of the H.264 advanced options. Only thing I cant figure out is that if it is acually applying them. I pimp them out and then queue up the job but the queue doesnt display the advanced settings. I dont know if it's acually feeding the job them or not.

Edit-----

Well [Censored] on that. The GUI is nice and pretty and has the awesome advanced settings for H.264 but doesnt pass them to the CLI.....
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

Darktempest wrote:The newest version is pretty darn awesome with the addition of the H.264 advanced options. Only thing I cant figure out is that if it is acually applying them. I pimp them out and then queue up the job but the queue doesnt display the advanced settings. I dont know if it's acually feeding the job them or not.

Edit-----

Well [Censored] on that. The GUI is nice and pretty and has the awesome advanced settings for H.264 but doesnt pass them to the CLI.....
hmm that is not good. You can report the bug here:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/rippedwire/

and hopefully he will look at it and fix it for the next version which should be perfect (as long as he fixes the gui so its not too big for my 1024x768 screen)
Darktempest

Post by Darktempest »

and hopefully he will look at it and fix it for the next version which should be perfect (as long as he fixes the gui so its not too big for my 1024x768 screen)
Bug added. Also added a request for a term output window so that we can see what the job is doing while encoding. Might make finding things like this easier.
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

Darktempest wrote:

Bug added. Also added a request for a term output window so that we can see what the job is doing while encoding. Might make finding things like this easier.
ahh yes, good suggestion. Hopefully he responds because this gui is really useful ;)
Mäxchen

Post by Mäxchen »

is it possible to have to differenet audio-languages with the handbrakegtk? with the windows gui only one audi track is possible (with mac gui more...)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

We have no clue. It appears that the guy that developed this has disappeared as far as we know.
Mäxchen

Post by Mäxchen »

ok,
thx alot for answering.
so the hard way....the cli version, **** (censored)
wesswei

keep up the great work!

Post by wesswei »

th3rmite, just want to say, it looks like you're doing great work here. I'm trying the gtk version out now.

I love the OS X version. I didn't feel like downloading .NET framework for Windows, so I can't install the Windows GUI. It's high time to try the Linux GTK port version. I'm on Ubuntu/Gutsy and Debian, so I'll report my results.

But wherever you are, keep up the great work! Hope everyone had a happy new year!

I suck at coding, but it would be awesome if we got a couple of people on th3rmite's team to help sort thru some of the code to get us a better than windows version up and running.

Cheers!

Wes
chris200x9

Re: Introducing HandBrakeGTK

Post by chris200x9 »

is it just me being stupid or is there no way to see frames per second?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Introducing HandBrakeGTK

Post by s55 »

You can set the framerate on the video tab but it doesn't look like there is any way of actually knowing what it is.

It seems as though the project is now abandonware so you may want to use the official CLI. It's not that hard to use and theirs a usage guide in the wiki for it.