Handbrake states it's completed but has not

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zarg

Handbrake states it's completed but has not

Post by zarg »

Hi. I bought the Inbetweeners 2 DVD (released Monday this week) and as I don't have a TV or DVD player, I usually convert my DVDs using Handbrake. While Handbrake has done a brilliant job on every other DVD I've tried, this is the first time it has failed. I select the main title ( 1 hr 32 long) and try to encode that but after a long time when Handbrake has finsihed encoding, the resulting file is only a couple of minutes long.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake states it's completed but has not

Post by TedJ »

Activity log, please.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
zarg

Post by zarg »

Thanks TedJ.

I saw that Activity Log is required, but when I clicked on the underlined words "Activity Log" nothing happened so I thought the link was broken or not working. Sorry for being a bit dim! (Sadly I can't seem to help it a lot of the time...)

Here is the activity log: http://pastebin.com/3SFHGBRR

The duration of the encode was supposed to be 1 hour 32 minutes, but Handbrake reported the encode as done within a very short space of time and the resulting file was only 3.2kb (it'd be impressive if it could really do that! ;-)
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

I hit something like this today. It was because my pre- 0.10 Hanbrakes version Preset had the Video speed encoding preset set as "Ultrafast". On this setting it completed very fast and with an error. Moving the setting to something more realistic like medium enabled the encoding to get done properly, without error.

Hope this helps.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HB doesn't do well with commercial DVDs, even with libdvdcss. Try disabling libdvdnav in preferences, but if it still doesn't work, rip the disk with MakeMKV and encode from that file.

ausymark your comment is unrelated. Presets are not compatible across versions.
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

mduell wrote:ausymark your comment is unrelated. Presets are not compatible across versions.
Granted, so a non-compatible, existing, preset could indeed cause an issue with transcoding. Food for thought.

Cheers:)