Selecting H.265

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ausymark

Selecting H.265

Post by ausymark »

Hi Team

First of: Great product!

I was intending to play around with the H.265 encoder however the gui option is not showing under the current release in linux (Ubuntu 14.10). Is it active in the gui version yet or is it still on the to-do list?

Cheers
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Selecting H.265

Post by mduell »

Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Forum rules
bradycl
Novice

Post by bradycl »

Is there a generic activity log posted somewhere for merely starting the program and having a question about the GUI layout that, by design, does not include starting an encode?

*headdesk*
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

bradycl wrote:Is there a generic activity log posted somewhere for merely starting the program and having a question about the GUI layout that, by design, does not include starting an encode?

*headdesk*
One that accurately reflects the platform, version, and build options that the OP is using in a trustable way? Nope.
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

here is the activity log:

[12:34:11] gtkgui: HandBrake rev0 (2014090499) - Linux x86_64 - http://handbrake.fr
[12:34:11] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[12:34:11] hb_init: starting libhb thread
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Not a supported build. Install from the HB ppa for support.
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

OK, Ive manually downloaded the installation package to get the latest package. For some reason when doing the PPA method it is downloading the 0.9.9 version and not updating to the latest version (and I have triple checked that the settings are the right one for Ubuntu 14.10). I now have the latest version and it has the H.265 option showing, Thx for the assist.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

ausymark wrote:For some reason when doing the PPA method it is downloading the 0.9.9 version and not updating to the latest version
You are probably specifying the wrong package name. The broken package in the official ubuntu repo is called "handbrake". The packages in my PPA are "handbrake-gtk" and "handbrake-cli". When you are unsure about package names, the apt-cache command is helpful. E.g:

Code: Select all

apt-cache search handbrake
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

Hi John

From what you have said when I have just typed in "handbrake" in the Software Centre Ubuntu is pulling it from Ubuntu's cannocals own repositories, not yours. Thanks for that bit of enlightenment.

That being the case it is really isnt outlined on the installation page:

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases

Perhaps the page needs to be slightly updated for slow bunnies like me who would just type in "Handbrake" :)

Once again, thanks for this awesome software.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Good point, package description updated to include clues for the clueless :mrgreen:
ausymark

Post by ausymark »

Cool, now if I could only get my 4K TV to decode H.265 .... lol (Im sure it will come eventually lol)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It'd be great if Ubuntu would stop providing the broken and outdated HB build...
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

mduell wrote:It'd be great if Ubuntu would stop providing the broken and outdated HB build...
Hear hear!