A collection of some minor issues and ideas

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mod16
Experienced

A collection of some minor issues and ideas

Post by mod16 »

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, because it's some stuff I noticed and wrote down over the past couple of weeks while using Handbrake (the Linux GUI).
  • Sometimes, especially if I load another file after adding the one before to the queue, the information in the audio and subtitle list doesn't always match the information given in the edit dialog (when pressing the pen icon in the corresponding list item). I.e. in the list it says "AAC" for encoder, but if I click on edit it says "AC3 passthru" in the dialog (even if grayed out, because there is no AC3 track present to pass through). So at that moment I'm actually not sure which settings are used if I would start the encoding process at that moment - the one in the list or the one in the dialog?
  • The same is true if I selected a subtitle track as default before. If I load a new file the "(default") in the list disappears, but the checkmark is still present in the edit dialog. I need to uncheck it and check it again to see the "(default)" text in the list.
  • Sometimes I get different result when clicking on "Reload defaults" in the audio list depending if the existing entries are manually cleared before or not. Maybe the list should be automatically cleared before loading the defaults? Sorry I can't be more specific on this. But sometimes the defaults only show as intended when I clear the list and then load the defaults instead of just loading the default "over" the existing list.
  • The bitrate for FLAC source tracks shows as something like 0.001 in the list - I think it would be a little bit nicer if this would show something like "unknown" or "n/a" - or be removed altogether.
  • The height of the rows in the queue list is different for working/done and waiting jobs. If I drag'n'drop an waiting item (even at the same place) the height is - for whatever reasons - readjusted to the height of the working/done items.
  • The preset entries show empty tooltips. I guess that's because I didn't provided a description for the preset. Maybe it would be an idea to only display tooltips if the description field is not empty.
  • I think it would be nice and faster to edit an list entry by just double clicking on it (besides using the existing pen icon).
  • The auto naming for the output filename is a really nice feature. Would it be possible to add the "Title" tag (if one exists) of the source file as available variable for the template?
  • I like to additionally name my audio tracks with something like "English (AAC)" - but I have to re-enter this for every new file I load. There maybe a good reason for this - but would it be reasonable to fill this field with a useful default value (like the language name) or even add the possibility to add own defaults - basically like the auto naming template (i.e. "{language} ({codec})")?
  • I think the queue handling could be optimized by adding additional buttons for moving the entries (MOVE UP, MOVE DOWN, maybe MOVE TOP, MOVE BOTTOM..) on the lower toolbar - drag'n'drop works fine, but it maybe not obvious for everyone.
  • Additionally I thought about something like a "breakpoint" in the list which represents a point/entry where the encoder simply stops and waits or maybe shuts the system down. This also would be a way to reflect and even extend the the "Finish current, then stop" (and similar) option, when pressing the "Stop" button, because this "Stop"-entry could then be dynamically moved like any other entry in the list.
    If I press stop and choose "Finish current, then stop", I currently get no feedback from the GUI that I selected this option. Also I have no way of telling the GUI to maybe do three more jobs and then stop (or even cancel my decision and go on to the end of the list).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: A collection of some minor issues and ideas

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Thanks for the suggestions. Bookmarked for future reference.
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

Thank you for looking into it! :)

I forget to add one item which was also on my list:
  • Another idea would be to add an option to Subtitle Defaults to always set the first subtitle track as default track.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I don't want to make any nonessential changes before the upcoming release. So if there is anything "essential" you would like to call my attention to before the release, please do.
mod16
Experienced

Post by mod16 »

JohnAStebbins wrote:I don't want to make any nonessential changes before the upcoming release. So if there is anything "essential" you would like to call my attention to before the release, please do.
I completely understand. In this case maybe just item 1 to 3 on my list. But these are no "deal breaking" issues, just stuff that maybe needs some fine tuning (or not).