Really poor performance under Ubuntu 12.10

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
alex789

Re: Really poor performance under Ubuntu 12.10

Post by alex789 »

I've also tried enabling/disabling some of the cpu features, nothing helped. It's got to be something in the drivers for the 3.5 kernel me thinks.
Any more ideas/suggestions?
AbeFM

Post by AbeFM »

I saw a post on bugzilla that mentioned kernal 3.8 didn't have the slowdown.

I've been doing my encodes over the network on my windows machine... Let me tell you, even though the processor is way faster, the interface for windows isn't nearly as nice as the linux one. Even with cool features like "add all" it's less integrated. So I'm really hoping that fixes it.

I'm not sure how to GET my kernal to update, I was hoping sitting on my duff would let it auto-update, I will definitely be checking into it when I get some spare time.

Oddly, I could *swear* the first encode I did after a re-install went quick, then I did some more a couple days later, and it was slow again? Aside from running DVDdecryptor to pull some stuff from some of my discs to compress it, nothing changed? Anyway, curious if you update what you see.
alex789

Post by alex789 »

I upgraded to kernel 3.7.2 and I'm getting 9-10 times better encoding speeds, from about 2fps to 18-20fps using the same files and encoding settings.