which version should I download for linux mint 12?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
foolishmountainman

which version should I download for linux mint 12?

Post by foolishmountainman »

Hi, I'm a complete newbie. I can see that there is no specific download for mint and I know that mint is based on ubuntu, but there are four(?) versions for ubuntu and I have no idea which will work with mint 12 Lisa. I don't know ifyou need to know this but its on a newly built computer with an intel core i5 2500k cpu, 8 GB memory, 500GB partition
Carborundum

Re: which version should I download for linux mint 12?

Post by Carborundum »

Linux Mint 12 is based on Ubuntu 11.10. Since Mint is supposed to retain binary compatiblity with its parent Ubuntu version, you should be able to install the version of Handbrake meant for Ubuntu Oneiric.

These commands should add the ppa of the nightly builds to your sources (substitute "ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots" with "ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases" if you want the stable version), and install the GUI version of handbrake (use "handbrake-cli" instead of "handbrake-gtk" if you want the CLI version). I cannot guarantee that it will work, as I have never used Mint.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
foolishmountainman

Post by foolishmountainman »

Thank you very much Carborundum, I'll give the Oneiric download a try. The cautionary for the clueless on the nightly build topic line says that they are for the technologically advanced (or the very brave) so I might just give that a miss... unless there is a compelling reason to try them?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

foolishmountainman wrote:Thank you very much Carborundum, I'll give the Oneiric download a try. The cautionary for the clueless on the nightly build topic line says that they are for the technologically advanced (or the very brave) so I might just give that a miss... unless there is a compelling reason to try them?
The "compelling" reason is this is where new features and bug fixes show up first. For example, the nightly builds now have Bluray subtitle support, Bob deinterlacing, and several squashed bugs. But if you do not stumble on any of the bugs in the release, and these new features are of no interest to you, then you may be better off sticking with a release, because there are likely a good number of new bugs in the nightly builds as well.

On the other hand, if you want to be a HandBrake contributor, using the nightly builds and reporting any problems you see is of great value to the project.