AAC Encoding

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
FaiT

AAC Encoding

Post by FaiT »

I've been on windows for awhile and just recently switched to OpenSUSE 11.4. I don't know if it is unique to linux or just a new feature as per the nightly build I installed but I was wondering about ffmpeg aac. Specifically how it compares to faac and (if possible) how it does against nero and apple. Do the developers recommend it? Why is it included? Input and advice to aid me in my decision to utilize (or not) this feature would be appreciated. :D
Deleted User 11865

Re: AAC Encoding

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's recently reached a state where it's useable and should be roughly in the same league as faac. It doesn't compare to AAC encoders from Nero or Apple.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Thanks Rodeo! Would you recommend using it? Or should I stick with faac, or does it simply not matter at this point?
Deleted User 11865

FFmpeg AAC should work all right, but it'd be nice if it got more testing. So by using it, you're helping us :-)

It will eventually replace faac.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Cool, thanks for the info. Can I assume ffmpeg aac is being developed? I've read that faac stopped development years ago; it'd be nice to have an encoder that would improve with time.
Deleted User 11865

Yep, it's under development.
FaiT

Post by FaiT »

Wow, that's awesome. I've read a bunch about people wanting to somehow get nero into handbrake (which didn't sound like it was ever going to happen) and about Mac getting coreaudio (because of that patch and that coreaudio is part of the OS) but until now it sounded like faac was the only thing the rest of us were ever going to get. So I'm really excited that you all are including an encoder that's receiving development. Thank You!